I need to find carp for bait.

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadchris, Aug 31, 2008.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    went to a small lake tonight,guy across from me caught so many 20lb+ fish on carp heads it wasnt funny anymore :sad2: noone else was catching any with bream etc.where can i find marines/tackle shops that sell carp? I asked him and he wouldnt tell.greedy ***** :cool2:

im in the greenville/pickens area(upstate).

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Go out mid afternoon with a fishing rod, small (#4) hook, and fish a doughball up on the shallow edges. 1 - 3 feet deep.

Carp can be tricky, but they can't resist a good cornmeal dough ball. Or canned whole kernal corn. Watch shorelines for telltale mud swirls, or "sipping" as the suck food off the surface.

Check the carp section for more how too's and where's.

Doubt you'll find any bait dealer that can/will sell them.
    Depending on state regulations.

3. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught some perfect size carp at lake Moultrie earler this year with a cast net in some coves around Pinnoplis area. They were about 6 - 8 inches used some for bait got one good hit but ended up switching back to Herring

4. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i was calling around asking and was told hartwell bait shop had em for $7 a dozen.where is the shop comeing from hwy 8?

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have never saw any carp there but if you head down 85 it is exit 11 then left and go bout 1/2 then its on the left.

6. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    With a price like that do you reckon they might be goldfish?Isnt goldfish some kind of carp or in the carp family?If you find some let us know if they catch you some fish.

7. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    it was carp for sure.and im looking EVERYWHERE for em but cant find em.taked to the hartwell place.he's never had em....grrr!!:confused2:

8. Coors

Coors New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sure he wasn't using salties(they look like a carp)

9. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    salties? hmm ive never heard of em:eek:oooh:

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I feel your pain, back when I lived in ohio it seemed like you could catch "baitsized" carp out of creeks or the regular ol' baitspots. Where I'm at now in Georgia I've never caught a nice 8 inch carp....either on r/r or in my castnet........they're either really small carp-or like 4 lbs or bigger....

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    4 lb carp sounds like good flathead bait. :big_smile:

12. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I could swear that goldfish were considered illegal bait in the state of SC.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Your forgiven.:big_smile:

14. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    You can allways try a fish trap if you want. They have worked pretty well for me catching both bulheads and carp. I usually use corn as bait. Make sure you get a tag for the traps though. Also dont think a 2 to 3 pound carp is too big I usually gig them for bait down at santee and will cut the backbone out and leave the head guts and filets all attached. I caught a 15 pound flathead on a 2.5 pound carp. He must been hungry!!:big_smile:

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Nope.

16. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Gee thanks, James....LMFAO!!

17. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I am not sure just how good of a catfish bait the goldfish is,I havent ever used any.I do know of a bait shop close to wateree that sold them at one time,the guy said it was a good bait,,but he was "selling" them.I did try a couple at the roanoke river for striper but never got a bite on them. sam

18. fishfindersc

fishfindersc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Those Salties are a black strain of Goldfish. Most seen around this area are from AR. I talked to the guy that breeds for "salties". They are pure goldfish. Goldfish are hybrids that were bred long ago from carp species in Asia. Smaller ones I've used were good blue cat bait I used to drift fish with. I have heard that some bait salesmen have tried to pass the salties off for carp since they are hard for some to tell apart from carp. The salties are more black and carp are brownish red if you look at 'em in the light. I doubt that the flatheads or blues really care which is which. I would use them (salties) if I could find them 8 to 10 inches long.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have tried the black salties with no luck but I have never seen them any longer than 3inches. I would love to try some 8-10 inches long.:big_smile:

20. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    can i find these "salties" in the upstate? aka bait shops?