I need to buy some new scales!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a great set of 100 pound meat scales off another good friend last year after busting my 50 pound spring scales on a James River fish. They work fine, but I need a good set that records the weight when it stays at a weight for more than a few seconds! Very difficult to hold a large fish steady to get an accurate reading on spring scales. I may have shorted the fish-off team Im on now by not reviewing the picture close enough. My partner said it was 35 pounds, but after a few pictures, here is what the picture shows after he took it. You need to zoom in.. Looks like maybe a 36 or so.. Makes me nervous, because I have lost tournaments by ounces before.. ..:cool2: rollo

Attached Files:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Looked like it said 16# to me.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Good fish congrats.

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a nice fish Jason. What did you catch it on? Seems like around here creek chubs are working best.

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think there's some Boga Grip scales that go up to 70

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Break down and buy one of those Berkley TEC 100lb. digital scales.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice work out there bro! You know...the way it goes...you got a scale that doesnt work right...you are sure to catch a record class fish and not be able to verify it:smile2:.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Who carrys this scale in stock? I could only find a 50# scale listed in Cabela's or Bass Pro.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
  10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    It wouldn't let me put the link to the page. Hope I don't get in trouble for this.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/links.htm
    Go to this page and click on the 3rd link there. Cost is $89.95.

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Might be worth taking a look at the Berkley tec100. I've had mine going on 2 years now, still working on the second set of battery's. Have weighed plenty of big fish. once you get the weight, just press the hold so you can review it after you let the fish down. Pretty accurate, too.

I weigh all my big fish in my landing net, so I'll just zero the net to get the tare weight. One of the neat features about it is that is has a nice big handle to use a 2 handed grip on the big fish.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I feel your pain man, I need to just spend the cash and get one of those berkley scales. I have looked all over including ebay and cant find any that are worth a crap..

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Mike on this one. I purchased one and love it . Berkley Tec100. If you can't locate them send me a PM and I will tell you who has them and the price.

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice fish either way though!!

15. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is a sweet lookin fish!

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good post Jason.Strange that there are so many big fish caught and there really is a shortage of big fish scales.Capt Hugh had a really good one when I fished with him last year but I cant remember the make or model.WHoever knows where to get the Berkelys please post it here for the rest of us.Or if you know of a better one let us know.:big_smile:

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice fish rollo,who was pulling on the tail?

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's the trouble with bouncing fish, you cant get an accurate reading till it stops moving and by that time your arms are tired. Fishing from shore I try to find a tree branch to tie a rope from, but in a boat if you want to know for sure you would have to kill it!

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    They settle down in the net and don't flop all over giving inaccurate readings. I weigh my big ones in the net also.:wink: Tare the scale to the net first and you are good to go.

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Jack, I agree with Darryl. The landing net supports them pretty good, they don't do to much moving around.