I need tips on fishing tucker town lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by countryboy79, Sep 9, 2009.

1. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I have fish pee dee river, blewett falls lake, tillery and badin. I want to try out tucker town. I've all ways heard of people catching flat heads there. Are they any blues in tucker town? How hard is it to catch shad there?
    Any tips you got on tucker town will help. Thanks

2. rapoole

rapoole New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I've caught some nice flatheads on tuckertown. You can net some shad under the 49 bridge or ride up river toward the High Rock dam and catch them along the concrete wall. The dam is the better place to catch bait if they are running the dam. I read that they are running from 10a.m. to 8 p.m. but I ain't been on the water lately to say thats true. Stay on the right side and take it slow because there's lots of rocks. This is a great place to fish when the dam is running. We catch flatheads and blues close to the dam and down current. Another good place is where the river necks in, straight accross the newsom mountain range, you'll see the place I'm talking about because there is a big clift on the mountain. On the water look for the big rock point and go up river aways in the 30 foot deep range. My partner caught a 30 pound flathead in that area using line caught bream. When we cant catch shad thats what we use for bait, the flatheads will tear them bream up.
    Hope this helps you out, good luck !
    RaPoole

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Randy welcome to the B.O.C. an thanks for sharing that local info with the group reps to you :cool2:

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks rapoole, That is some very helpfull tips. If you need some tips on fishing blewett falls lake just ask. I'll be more than glad to help you out.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That place certainly has some decent flatheads in it. Used to be the best flathead lake in the state. It's starting to come back from what I hear. I haven't fished it in years but the bream were always easy to catch in there if you can't find the shad.

6. Jman

Jman Member

State:
    NC
    I fished tuckertown about 20 years ago after hearing a guy tell a story about catching 12 catfish that were over 10 lbs each. My father, who passed in 02, and myself went up there looking for those fish. We were told that the fish were caught in sight of the dam so thats where we went. We stopped along the way to catch some crappie and bream for bait. It was a beautiful trip and I took photos of a fox drinking from the lake and a small herd of deer along the river. I could have hit that fox with a rock he was so close. He just stood there and watched us go by. We anchored down just above a deep hole, insight of the dam and fished down stream letting our bait just wash into the area. The current wasn't real strong that I remember so we were real close to the area we wanted to fish. We caught 8 or 9 fish out of that area none of them overly large. Right when we were packing in, I picked up a light tackle rod that I had put out with a small piece of bream on it. The whole time we fished I never saw it move. Well it wouldn't come in and I thought it was hung. I grab the line with my hand to break it off and when I pulled it gave a little, so I picked up the real and started to reel it up. I actually thought I was reeling up an old log or trash. It took forever! When that thing finally surfaced I was hanging on to a 14 lb flathead. I'll never forget the fun dad and myself had bringing that fish in our boat. We laughed and kept slapping each other on the back. It was a hoot and it made the whole trip. I caught that fish with an old Mitchell 300 reel spooled with 8 lb test. We didn't have the equipment then we have now. We brought that fish home and turned it loose in Lake Hickory. I was living on Lake Hickory at the time and my dad never liked to eat big catfish altho he did like to catch them! I guess I get it naturally. On Tuckertown, we were probably within 500 yds of the dam and it was very rocky. We had to cut our anchor and lost it in the rocks. I often think about that trip and look forward to taking my sons and grandchildren back there one day.

This post might not help much but I encourage you to go ahead and spend a day on Tuckertown. Hope your trips as memorable as mine. Joel

7. rapoole

rapoole New Member

State:
    north carolina
    JMan, thanks for that story, it made me think of times when my dad and me fished together. Those are some fond and funny memories.
    rapoole