I need tips for bank fishing for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Krauseb, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey there everyone,
    I've been taking my 3 year old son out fishing with me and so far he loves it. We fish from the bank b/c all I have is a canoe and I don't feel its safe enough for him. Anyways, we have been out and tried a few places and have caught 1 channel cat by a boat ramp (Arrowhead landing for those of you in the N. Alabama area). We've tried evening fishing, but mostly sunday morning fishing with no success. We use mainly nightcrawlers and/or chicken gizzards/hearst covered in garlic salt and curry. Still nothing.

he really loves it when he gets to reel in the fish, I just want to get more fish for him to reel in (plus they taste good too). Any pointers that would lead to any success would be greatly appriciated. I don't mind the slow fishing, but he does and it makes me more happy to see him excited then anything.

Also, I just got back into fishing this past summer so I don't have a lot of experience either. This is the first time in my life that I have tried catfishing.

thanks everyone. Great forum, great people ... keep up the great work all.

Brandon in Madison, Alabama

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Krause welcome to the B.O.C.

3. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    you can try to scout out bank spots in your area more from your conoe. your looking for brush or submerged structure that you can cast to from the bank. if your fishing a body of water with current try to find a channel of it that you can cast to from the bank, those are the two big things your lookin for, in my experience cats arent lookin for the deepest water (unless its cold) they are lookin for current so the channel puts them in the current where they eat dead fish and what ever else tickles their fancy floating down it and cover pushes the water in the current around difrently so that attracts them as well

hope this helps ya

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    try some shad.if you dont have a cast net get one,wally world for about 16 bucks.try throwing it below spillways or around boat ramps early in the morning.i've had more luck with shad than anything else.might want to also try raw shrimp.the ones with vein still in it,brown looking not pink.also at wally,you get about 50 shrimp for 4 bucks.try to take as many baits as possible all depends on what there hitting on that day.hope this helps

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Krause,Welcome to the BOC. Live and cut bait always work good this time of year. It would be a good idea to find out what kind of bait fish you have in your area. Good luck, and keep us posted.

6. MikeYoungs

MikeYoungs New Member

State:
    La.
    I don't have a boat, so I always fish from the bank. In order to cast far enough to reach the deep water, I had to get a longer rod. I used to fish with a 7 foot rod, now I use a 13 foot rod with a 3 ounce weight,(with 30 lb test line.) The difference in distance is like night and day! Once you get your big rod set, use a smaller one or a cane pole to bream fish with your son. Bream fishing is great for kids. just use a really small hook and sinker, a small piece of worm and a bobber set a couple of feet above the hook. Your son will have a blast, and you can use some of the bream for bait on your big rod. Just take a fillet off each side of a bream, and your in business! Have fun, and good luck.

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Get a cast net and you can catch shad or any baitfish in tailraces or just in large schools. Ask around to find out where baitfish are found. Cast nets run from $15 to 20 at Wal Mart or Academy depending on size. I reccomend starting with a 3.5 or 4 foot radius. Check laws to see if they are legal. Once you get started with a net you will have the natural food source of catfish in your hands.

8. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i would suggest talkin to other fisherman in the area. any bait shops around? thats a good place to find info. if nothin else, go to the fishin dept in wally world n talk to people buying tackle there. also, you have to have lots of patience. remember, when yer bank fishin, most of the time you are waitin for fish to swim through the hole yer fishin. try a different time of day also. fish bite at different times all throughout the day n night. i usually fish from just before dark to 2-3am. here lately its been pretty slow fishin, so i went to the same hole at noon till 4 pm and thats when they were feeding.

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    You may also consider chumming a spot to draw more fish in so your son can catch them. To catch the size fish he will be able to reel in you would probably want to fish chicken livers (fresh) or shrimp. Also for me I catch more bluegills and brim on a very small hook and a pinch of shrimp, with a cork of corse fishing about 3 ft. deep. As for you hook a blue gill on a 7/0 kahle hook on some 30# big game by berkley with enough sinker to hold bottom, cast that bad boy out and wait. If you got bait in the water they will come.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, what they said. I always fish for bream while bank fishing just to pass the time. Welcome to the BOC.

11. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Welcome to the BOC! Great information here!

12. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    wow, thanks everyone for the advise. I'll try 'em all. Hopefully if I use all of the pointers, they'll just jump right on shore for us (LOL).

Thanks again everyone
    Brandon

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the board. It's all about good times with family and friends and it seems you already got that down. You found the problem with fishing with young. If you could find a place where the kids could catch pan fish as you catfish it would keep the son excided. That is a tough one in the fall. Hope you have fun, stay after it.

14. kickersdad

kickersdad New Member

Welcome to the BOC. You will learn a lot about Catfishing In here.

15. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    very well put man.that is some good info

16. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Go out the day before you go fishin'. Take a bag of dried dog foot. Toss it out liberally where you're going to fish. Bring a camera.

17. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Does going from a 7 foot to a thirteen improve your distance that much? I try to fish below the dams with a old 7 footer that my dad had, outfitted with a old Zebco spincast reel, with a 3 ounce sinker and it doesn't go that far compared to others. I also Hang up a lot and spend most of my time re-rigging my rod. I finally get discouraged and leave to a spot up river. Any tips on keeping from hanging up , or maybe rigging it different!

18. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    unless it is some Zebco spincast I have never heard of, you can likely cast all your line off with a 4 foot rod using a 3 oz sinker.

I expect he was using a surf rod with a spinning reel.

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Krauseb, I am very Happy to say this with more memories than you could imagine. The fact that you are spending time with your children is a Blessing that they will remember for many years to come. Keep it up and your Happiness along with theirs will multiply. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

20. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I agree!

I always try and take my daughter and her boyfriend fishing when I can?
    We might not catch much fish, but just to see the smile on their faces when they get a bite and catch a fish, it doesn't get much better then that.

When I take them with me, I let my daughter catch my bait, she can catch perch like crazy and she enjoys it.

Most of the time when we are out fishing, I don't pay too much attention to my lines because I'm watching her having fun, and that makes me feel good.

If your fishing at a boat ramp, put a small piece of worm on your sons pole and have him drop it along the side of the ramp, any place where there is a little hole for the fish to get under. This is where my daughter catches most of her perch and she enjoys it as much as catching bigger fish.

Even if I don't catch anything, I still have a good time watching my daughter catch a few fish, even if they are just perch.

Ken