I need suggestions on a bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by tomsfishing4, Jan 8, 2009.

1. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    hey guys,im wantin to build my first homade bait tank this year and im lookin for tips on how to go about it with out spending alot. i was lookin into buyin one but honestly for $100+ i figure i can do it my self for less than that right?

2. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Is it for a boat or home? I have a livewell in my boat. At home I use an old Coleman cooler with two cheap aerators and a filter from Wal Mart. Maybe got $30.00 in it. Keep cool freshwater,feed em and keep it cool I can keep anything at least 3 days.

3. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks dave,its for home i was thinkin about a tote with a pond pump you think thats to much flow at (210gph) or i would get the same results by using airaters like you. i would like to keep alot for about a week if possible that way i only have to bait fish once a week.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You might consider a small stock tank from like tractor supply or whatever farm supply place ya'll have. Put a spray bar(pvc drilled with small holes) on your pump and ya outta be ready to go. If heat is an issue, you can always wrap insulation around it. If your on city water, i would fill it and let it stand a few days to allow the chlorine to dissipate out.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  6. redneck cowboy

redneck cowboy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a stock tank that i put a spray bar in and used a pond pump as you mentioned. the only real problem I have is that the pond pump generates quite a bit of heat and warms my water up too hot to keep bait alive in the summer. It works good in the winter as it keeps it warm and from freezing. If you kept your bait in a temperature controlled environment these might not be a big issue.

7. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I haven't made mine yet, but here's the idea that I have for mine. I'm going to take two 55 gallon plastic barrels. I'm going to connect a recirculating pump between the two barrels with a line running between the two and put a spray bar on one of the barrels. Since i'm only going to have bait in one of the barrels, I figure the second barrel of water will aid with water changes and make it easier to keep clean. If i put a drain on the second barrel, I can change the water out easily.

I saw a guy have a similar setup, except that instead of barells, he used an old sink. It made it pretty easy, but he couldn't hold a lot of bait.

8. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well my self I use a 30 gal. rubber made tote that I got from the dollor store for about 10.00. And a dual port areator from walmart that ran 15.00 and a cascade filter for about 30.00. its been working great for almost 3 yr.

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I USE A STOCK TANK AT HOME AND I GET PLACTIC TUBS FROM THE FEED STORE THAT HAD HARD CATTLE FEED IN IT AND USE THAT ON MY BOAT. THE PLASTIC TUBS ARE ABOUT 20 GAL.

10. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    Posted this on the water pump, but will do it again here.
    My father used just a old chest freezer. Took everything off the back and motor. Sealed it up, put a big drain valve at the bottom.
    For a pump he used just a swamp cooler pump with a fine screen around it. He ran a out flow hose down the side, across the bottom and up the other side. This hose had holes all through it.
    He used this for many years till it finally rusted out.
    Oh and he kept the lid on also. I think that he had something for air on it also.
    Good luck and this is about as cheep as you will find.
    Rick

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use a 55gal. barrel with the top cut out of it and a salvaged pond pump. I think since you live in Pa. if you will set it in the shade of a building heat wont be a big issue for you.