I need spinning reel help

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jlingle, Sep 21, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Curse those miserible spinning reels. I've used them since I was a kid & I've never found a good way to load new line on a spinning reel without twisting it into oblivion. I've heard to lay the spool flat & let it naturally come off..... yeah, tried that one fifteen trillion times & can't get it to work. I know it'll twist if I put the spool on a pencil & pull it straight off.

How the heck do you do it without loading up 200 yards of heavily twisted line?:angry:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Run the line through the middle of a closed phone book. That'll keep enough pressure on it to keep it from twisting. I just got done putting line on 5 reels that way. It works pretty good.

3. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lay the spool on the floor to where the line spools off the same direction the reel turns, Use a wet rag to pull the line through the bottom eye as it goes on the reel and you should be good. Not all lines work on spinning reels though. I use Trilene XL on all my spinning reels and the limp line works super. I put some stiff line on one one time and the line shot off the reel like a spring and stayed in a knot as I tried to use it. I use big game on my bait casters but the XL is all I will put on a spinning reel. I hope this helps

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like to spool spinning reels lightly the first time, once the spool is filled i place a few split-shots on the end of the line, i then walk off all the line through my neighbor's yards. once you have walked the line off i start reeling it back on slowly with adequate tension. the split shots are enough weight to keep your line straight, but still allowing it to turn and roll when needed. this allows for a truer lining to your reel.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    or...you can place the spool of line in a bucket of water. The spool will flip over naturally in the water as the line comes off.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jerrod, its simple. Get an abu or penn. LOL

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Have the line comming off the spool that is on the floor, and have the rotation be the same comming off, as it is going on the reel.....run the lines between the thumb and index finger to give some tension and crank away.... lower the rod tip down to the spool occasionally to see if things are working ok..... the biggest problem is that after folks cast alot.... they dont keep the tip up on the reel and it is not wound tight enough....all this depends on the diameter of the spool, and the weight of the line you are working with....

my thoughts....bayrunner Ray

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks Ray, I knew that you could lay the spool flat on the floor and just wind it onto the reel without twisting, but I couldn't remember which way to lay it. As far as tension goes, I put the reel on a rod, and while I'm winding, run the line through the fingers of my left hand; that lets me instantly adjust the pressure.

9. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to have that problem with spooling reels, until I learned this technique.

1. Get an empty one=pound coffee can or something similar. The size you want is something that is just a little bigger in diameter than your line spool.

2. Fill container with very warm water. Insert line spool and let soak about 10 minutes.

3. Sit container on floor at your feet. I usually spool a reel with it attached to the butt section of a rod.

4. Run line through guides and tie onto reel spool.

5. Start winding. Wind with one hand and let line run through thumb and forefinger of other hand, so that you can apply pressure. It's awkward, but you can do it. Keep constant pressure. If the setup is ideal, your line spool should slowly rotate in the water---BUT NOT flip over. If it flips over or tilt-banks around too much, there will be problems.

6. IMPORTANT PART. After you have wound about 20 or 30 turns, pinch down on the line, keeping it kinda taught between where you're pinching it and the reel. Now, lean forward towards your line spool on the floor, creating slack between the pinch and the floor spool. Look at the slack line at the end guide. Is it twisty? If not, keep spooling: slow, steady and taught. If it is twisting up, carefully turn the line spool upside down in the coffee can (or whatever) and begin winding again.

Doing it this way, I've had almost no line-twist problems---or at least not while spooling.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jerrod, all those methods might work. If you don't mind water on your carpet,or the extra steps of reeling on and trailing all the line back off and reeling in lol. Here is the fool proof, one-time method of spooling a spinning reel. I have been using this method for 10 years on all my spinning reels from small bass reels up to 6500 shimano bait-runners, and have eliminated all back flopping. First you need a post from a ruined spinning reel, or a rod with threads on one end that you can screw on a nut. I took the center post from a 10 dollar spinning reel, the nut that held on the spool and found me a couple of washers and rubber spacers (so I could go from small spools up to the 6500's). I place the center post in my cordless drill, then I slip on the spool I want to fill. You may need to place a washer under the spool on the post and one on the top then screw on the nut to hold it firm. (Just look around in your junk drawer and you can find something that works lol. You just want the spool to not spin on the post when you are putting line on under pressure.) Take the time to see which way the line lays on your spool when you crank the handel. On all of mine, the crank goes counter clockwise when I turn the handel. So when I use the drill I want the line to lay on the same way as the crank. So I use the drill going clockwise. You may need to have some help if using a small filler spool. What you need to do is feed the line off the filler onto the spool like a reel to reel tape recorder or old movie projector. Don't let the filler spool flip over. the line should be coming off the top of it and winding over the top of the reel spool. You can go as fast or slow as you want. Just keep running the line from the top to the bottom of the spool with your fingers, just like the reel would be doing. So you get an even lay on the reel. I know it sounds complicated reading it but try it and you can spool 3 reels in the time it takes to do one the old way. Plus you will never get one that flies off the reel when you open the bail.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    When I spool I have lots of reels to spool so I buy big bulk spools of line.Then I just take my boat out, throw the line spool over the side.Hopefully I have tied it to the reel spool,:eek:oooh::big_smile::smile2:and crank away!!!!:smile2:Always apply some kind of tension with your fingers or a wet rag as I do.PS make sure the line spool floats!!!!!!!:crazy::roll_eyes::big_smile: