I Need Some TN Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by WylieCat, Dec 16, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I'm coming to the McMinnville area the day after Christmas. The purpose of the trip is to see my wifes brother before he heads off to Iraq with the US Army. He has fished with me before when he was younger here in the Carolinas, and he asked me to bring my boat and take him fishing one more time before he leaves.

Can anyone give me any pointers on what lake/river to head to? He is content with anchoring down for a monster. It looks like Chicamauga is only about 90 minutes away, so that would be great. Does anyone have any general tips on where to put in, what to look out for, and WHERE TO BUY BAIT????

:crazy:

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, and I am sure this soldier will appreciate it.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dieter, I'll send you a pm later on today and give you some directions. I'll look I may also have a couple skip jack left.

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks Bubbakat!! I figured skipjack was the way to go, but we don't have them in the Carolinas and I have no clue how to catch them!

Looks like Chickamauga is my best bet for catching a big fish. The Holly Hills / Soddy Creek area is the straightest shot from McMinnville, so hopefully there is a ramp in that area.

As for where to fish; I open for tips on where to start and tips in dangerous places to stay out of.

4. festus

festus New Member

Center Hill Lake is a good one in the area also. But for big cats, I recomnmend Chicamaugua. Falls Creek Falls Lake also is good fishing. Don't know about the catfishing, but there are some giant bluegill in there. I caught the biggest one of my life in there, it was almost 2 pounds.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ok, putting some pieces of this adventure together.

I found a public boat ramp in the back of Soddy Creek. The next puzzle is bait. I can try to catch it, bring my own, or I can buy it when I get there. Do they sell skipjack in TN or is that illegal? What about shad? Anyone know any places near Soddy that sell it?

Thanks for the input!!

6. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Seen a fella post this....
    Went over to fort loudon dam to see what was going on over there. every flood gate is open and the river just below the dam is 7 feet above summer level. the rest of watts bar is at summer level after being at winter level which is down 4 feet last week

As in my PM be careful on the river!!! Thats why I was suggesting a lake section of the river, true river parts will be even higher after this rain we will be getting the next 2 days... When the almighty river is roaring, it is just as dangerous as santee on a really windy day... Also keep an eye out for trash in the river... have seen ropes,55 gallon drums, building materials ect in the river.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    My plan right now is to fish down around the power plant on Chicki. Gonna bring some gizzard shad, and some bream, and white perch if they are legal. Gotta do some checking on that!!

Anyone else out there the weekend after Christmas????

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll PM you my cell number and when you get here I'll bring you what skips I have lift which is about two or three. When You are short on bait and can't get any skips Always remember cats love chicken. I buy a pack of bonless brest and cut it up and use a 7/0 hook and catch away. You can use any bait hare in tenn as long as you catch it your self. As for the river there ain't been no biguns taken here lately because of all the rain the water current is real strong. I'll do some checking with my buddies that fish chick and nick and see what is happening.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    You are awesome Bubbakat!

Things are coming together. Hopefully this soldiers will have some good pics to remind him of home while he is in Iraq!

10. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I do know if the bait you bring from another water way is illegal in tenn. If it is dead to used for cut bait may not be so bad, bringing live bait from a differnt water system can bring new bacteria foriegn to this water system and cause alot of damage. I know that you didn't mention them but wanted to go ahead put it out there that blue back hering are illegal in tenn. Sounds like Bubba Cat has got you hooked up anyway, just don't want to see you get into any trouble and thanks for taking the soldier fishing before he goes to protect our freedoms.

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I do know if the bait you bring from another water way is illegal in tenn...."

Thanks Pondwater! That's something to think about. I'm going to try and read through the entire regulations digest online before I head out to make sure I have everything in order.

12. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I have never fished that lake that you are planning on fishing, I wish that I could give you some help on some locations. Good luck and we sure would like to see some pics of that soldier holding a big slimey cat.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    kevin when the flow slows down somewhat me and you will get together and I'll show you some good holes on the chick or nick.:wink:

14. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    sounds fantastic, I am off on sundays and mondays. You let me know what monday to meet you and I'll be there with bells on.

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks for all the help and input!! It appears I have as much in order for this adveanture as possible. It is now up to the fish!!!

:wink:

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dieter when are you gonna arrive in mcminnville.

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    We plan to drive in Christmas day and fish Saturday and Sunday. I will PM you my cell phone number.

:wink:

18. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Good luck Wylie Cat, hope to see some great pics of that soldier and that big slimmie cat:big_smile:

19. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    hope you put the hurting one em! Have a great time out and have fun!

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    We fished Chicki yesterday from Soddy Creek down to below Sequoyah. Water was ripping compared to what I'm accustomed to. The river channels were amazingly barren on the graph with few fishable arches or bait.

We did find some massive arches, huge schools of what I thought were cats, but they may be carp or gar if you guys have them. It was is in the mouth of a creek, out of the main river current. We tried several presentations with no luck.

The only fish we caught were small channel cats back in Soddy Creek.

Overall a great lake with some great places to fish under more stable conditions.