I need some skipjack...Badly!

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by catfishjohn, Feb 22, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've never been able to catch skippies,even down at the Greenup Dam.Nobody close to me tries for them and I'm not sure exactly where to find them and tell if their running or in the area.I would love it if some Brother could help me out(closer the better) and be able to send some.A 1-3 day trip packed good and insulated would keep them good enough to get here.If anybody can help me out with just a few until I know exactly what I'm looking for and be able to get a sabiki rig and try again.
    Let me know if anyone can help,I'll pay for shipping,shouldn't be much anyway as I only want a few to try out.
    Please,someone help a Brother out,
    John

2. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I've tried buying, borrowing, and stealing them. Never thought about begging!:lol: Hope you have some luck, they are terrific bait.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

LMAO!!! I figured it'd be worth a try.I'm hoping DH or JW will feel sorry for me and hook me up with a few...:roll_eyes: They are the one bait I've never had any luck getting.
    I wish I knew what size Sabiki rig to use and I'd try to catch them again.

4. madmatt010

madmatt010 New Member

State:
    ohio, dayton
    i know the local bait shop sells them for 6-7 bucks a piece there about 18 in long

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Dayton is a little far to drive though.I'm right across the river from Lawrence county(Ironton)
    Thanks though,I'm really wanting some for an upcoming fishing trip.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah when you find them let me know :lol: iv tried markland dam twice in the last week and they dont appear to be there yet , although i heard of a fellow snagger catching a blue with a 12" skip lodged in its throat below markland

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I need to find a way to keep them frozen somewhat to get across state.Any ideas?

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When I'm using the sabiki rigs , I use the diachi bleeding bait hooks in a size 6.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    John, You must be sure the skips are in that area, I understand they travel alot, chasing smaller bait fish. If the sabiki rigs do not produce, try a crappie jig. The skips here get finnikey and will not hit just anything.

10. madmatt010

madmatt010 New Member

State:
    ohio, dayton
    to keep them frozen for a long drive try dry ice it is alot colder and last longer be careful tho it is so cold it will burn you wear gloves to handle it

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I appreciate all the tips.I hope to run down to my buddies tackle shop and get a couple sabiki rigs.If I can't find any anywhere else,I'll go down to the dam and try my luck.Is the size 6 the most common size?

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I got me a sabiki rig,size 8 hooks.Only size he had.Also got a deal(I think) he had BPS catmaxx baitholder hooks,8/0,25 pack.He gave them to me for $5(was $6.50).I only spent $8 on the sabiki rig,25 hooks and a couple packs of 1/0 barrel swivels.
    I'm ready to go now,just wish the skips were running!

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i think i pay 4 somethin a box for cattmax 8/0 9/0 25 pack at bps and 2.95 for sabiki's but i dont use swivels so i cant say wether or not thats good :lol: im still waiting on the location of them skippies

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

If I run across them,I'll let you know.I'm supposed to hit the dam today.I don't think their running but I'll try anyway. :lol:

15. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good luck w/ those skippies buddy!