I need some opinions from my brothers

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by tfabry, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    What would you buy for your son or daughter to use for their first gun and why? My son is kind of a late bloomer to hunting. He has had no interest at all in hunting until we moved back to Wisconsin. He found (surprise) all of his friends hunt and fish. So the light blub came on for him. Once again dad is wrong and just no fun. He is 14 years old and about 6' tall 100 lbs soaking wet. He has never fired a large calibler gun of any kind. Currently he and I are in our states hunters saftey program - and hes doing well. On to which gun. I am leaning towards buying a 20 gauge pump. The reason being its a little less of a punch than my 12 gauges. I dont want him to get the flinch factor or not enjoy it due to the kick on his shoulder with a 12 gauge. Also for any duck hunters out there can you duck hunt with a 20 gauge? I dont duck hunt but he wants to get into it with his friends. Thanks in advance - Todd

Oh I forgot mostly deer hunting within 75 yards typically shot in our area, duck hunting, and small game. Or would you just let him use a rifle for deer hunting? If so what size caliber would you use - And then make him suck it up and use a 12 gauge w/ 3" slugs.

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    A 20 gauge single barrel shotgun is what Daddy started me out with for squirrel and deer hunting. In my opinion that 20 gauge pump is a good choice. Till he gets older and more experence then get him something bigger.
    My DAD Drummed Safety in my head every minute and every move I made.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think the 20ga. is a fine choice for small game and even deer at 75yds.
    But I think for ducks, 20 isn't quite enough. I'd look at new Benelli autos that advertize much less felt recoil. (the Marine Corps went to Benelli's)
    With the screw in chokes now, a 12 ga is good for anything you are likely to encounter in north america.
    :wink:

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    In a word ENCORE, great first gun, and you can do it all just by changing barrels. After he is use to all kinds of the sport, he will be old enough to make up his own mind about what he wants and old enough to buy it his self also.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The 20 guage pump with screw in chokes and a second deer barrel. This should cover most of what he needs and is probably the cheepest route. Pick the brand you have faith in.:lol:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As well as the TC Encore there are several other guns availible that have the versitility to switch bbls New England Firearms a subsidary of Marlin now offers the ss lineup with interchangable barrels in blackpowder and shotgun an Traditions I believe also offers one as well as mossberg

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Todd,
    The 20 gauge is a fine choice. A single or pump is a good idea for a novice. Find it in a combo to give him some versatility. Mossberg's 835 magnum is a nice outfit but I dont know about the availability in a 20. Remington 870 is another good one. Good luck.:cool2:

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I did a lil research, the Mossberg 835 Ultimag is only available in a 12.

9. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    The family hand me down I've always hunted with is a 40yr old Mossberg 185KC with the C-lect choke-I've dropped rabbit,squirrel,and a 200lb buck with it.Great gun,with a slip on re-coil pad has little if any recoil.With practice and a good riffled slug,you can get 1inch groups at 100yds with my old 20gage.Mine is a bolt action which is fine for varmit and deer,but the pump would be a better choice for duck hunting.I know guys who duck hunt with 20gages.One of them just got one of those Daily20gages from Wally world and loves it.I'll be so proud the day my son(he's 5 now)gets old enough to pass the ol'Mossberg to him:smile2:

10. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    My pops got me a 16 gauge single shot, breakdown action (easy to clean) when I was 10 or 11. Not much kick at all. I still have it today. It's a great gun for squirrel, rabbit, and turkey.

11. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    when i first started dad got me a 20 and it worked great for small game and deer the 20 with a slug is close to the power of a 50 cal. the key is to have a good fitting gun and let him get comfortable with what hes shooting. since his friends hunt you may be able to borrow a couple of guns and see what he likes best.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'm gonna go against the grain a little on this one. I say buy him a 12 guage auto. The automatic action will cause the gun to kick pretty close to the same as a 20 guage pump, and he'll be able to hit much better with it. Being able to hit with the gun and not get discouraged is gonna be a factor for him, I think. If you're gonna buy the boy a gun, why not get him something that he'll be effective with? Check into the mossberg line of autos, they're fairly inexpensive and pretty darn good guns. I've got a buddy who shoots one, and I've tried to snag it from him many times. He just won't part with it. Darnit.

My first gun was a 20 guage pump. My dad had a browning sweet 16 at the time, and I used to love to shoot his browning, because it kicked considerably less than my 20. BTW, when I was given my first gun (the 20 guage pump) I was 12 years old, and I wrestled at 95 pounds that year. I was a little kid.

As for rifles, buy him a .243. It'll kill any deer in the woods if he does his part and it won't kick nearly as much as a 20 guage pump.

13. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I think the 20 ga. is the best choice and later he can change to somting else. The 20 ga. is an excellent starter gun.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The problem with a shotgun for a first deer gun is this: you can't afford to shoot it enough to really be proficient/comfortable, and even if you could, he'll be flinching before it's done.

Get him a rifle chambered in a common caliber, that won't knock him around too much. 30-30 ammo is cheap, and Marlin lever guns are heavy enough that the recoil won't be too rough on him.

.243 is good, too, but the ammo is a little higher. Also, most adults prefer something a little more potent for deer...the 30-30 is plenty.

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    14 yrs old and 100 lbs, he should be able to handle a 12 auto. I would not get him into 3 or 3 1/2 shells till he gets into it. Every deer I shot with a 12 ga was with a 2 3/4. Never had a problem. Shot squirrels out of the top of Any oak tree I needed to. He can always move up to the longer shells as he puts on weight.

12 auto all the way!

16. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I don't want to throw cold water on the 20 ga. fans but a light load in a 12 ga. won't kick any harder, and is a lot more versitle. He won't be 14 for very long.......

17. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I say get him one of those shoulder fire rockets they dont kick at all and just think how cool he would be with his freinds lol

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    12 ga. autoloader for sure. at that age his friends would give him hell for having a kiddie gun anyway. 20 is too light for ducks and certainly too light for geese. as a kid he will take too many shots with the 20 he shouldnt and end up wounding too many ducks. for a rifle, the .260 is a sweet choice. my 7 year old nephew got one for christmas and got his first buck with it a few days after. if he can handle it im sure a kid twice his age can. i'd avoid the lever guns. why waste the money on a 30-30 when a good 12 slug gun will provide superior performance and equal effective range.

i still have my first gun, a .22 - 20 ga. single shot over under. got it for my seventh birthday (or was it christmas?) taken about everything with it in louisiana a person can shoot at. is now the official "family gun". whatever kid in the family is age appropriate to use it uses it. another year or so and another nephew will be ready for it. someone here suggested the TC, while i think thats normally a great choice in general i disagree on the grounds its a first gun. a mossberg 500 12 ga pump or similar id think best. at least in my family a kid has to show proper care and respect for a gun before they are given a good one. let them show you they can keep it clean and give it good care then get the TC. (and with the TC youve got his next 10 christmas presents in the bag, *new barrels)

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    as for the 20 gauge being too light for ducks, i kill quite a few with 3 inch steel loads. i would never take it for geese though. it's a winchester 1300 ranger, great little gun. good on the pheasants too. long range ducks? no way. what i wanted to say was it doesn't kick much different than the 12 gauge with those loads.
    as for a rifle, if you go that route, the .243 is pretty devastating and has light recoil. a buddy of mine has put deer down just as well with his as i do with my .30-06.
    you have my respect for allowing your son to do the hunting thing. a lot of these parents these days tend to steer their kids away from it. THANK YOU!

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    He's not going to be 100 pounds for long and he will soon outgrow a 20 gauge. 12 gauge is a good all around gun and unless he is going to shoot several boxes of ammo a day, the kick won't be a problem.