I need some local fishing help

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by pk_powell, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know there are some catfisherman who live in the St. Joseph Missouri fishing area. I need to get some directions on where the the Nodaway River dumps into the Missouri. I don't own a boat,so was just curious. I found Nodaway Island but as far as I could tell all it really is is a nice boat ramp. Then I went a little further up and found if memory serves Don Brown Conservation area which if that's it (I couldn't tell). Bunch of homes around near the bank.If anyone knows what I'm talking about PLEASE PLEASE(no I'm not shouting please) I'm just imploring for assistance and possible directions if anyone has been where I am talking about. Thank You,very much in advance for anyone replying.Oh by the way we do have a topographical map and I knew we were close.Again many thankks to anone who responds!!!:smile2::smile2:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Gee Pat you need help allright ,but not to find the river:roll_eyes: Ha!Ha!.Just Kidding ! Wish I could help you out but you just a bit to far away.Someone (PLEASE) help this poor girl out.She about to go nuts :crazy:not catching any kittys. Hope you find what your looking for sis.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    You were very close pat. Take K to Amazonia then left on T. Go past the boat ramp exit to county road 458 turn left this will put you were there are house's on the nodaway. or you can go the the next road county road 400 and this will go over the nodaway. Hope this helps.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is the fishing good there,and is there plenty of places where a person can sit their chairs make a campdire to ward off skeeters? Would you happen to know what the biggest fish caught there was. Got a BOC Brother wanting to fish there with me and my family so trying to find out some good information. Thank you Hunter you are very kind and I hope I can do a favor for you sometime as I would be most happy to do so!!:big_smile:

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
  6. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You were almost there when you were at the Bob Brown access. The mouth of the Nodaway is about 100 yards to the west. The fishing there is always exiting because you never know what you will catch next. I caught the largest sturgen I have ever caught right at the mouth. The Bob Brown access has a wing dike that has a deep hole at the end and you will need at least 8 oz of weight to hold there.--paddle :0a17:

7. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have fished that area MANY MANY times, Bob Brown is a good place to fish for the big flats and Blues in the summer time. The mouth of the Nodaway is also a good place because there is a lot of bait fish there. I have caught every type of fish out of that river imaginable. The bridge is a good place to catch channels and bullheads during the day, i learned that the flats and blues only go up there at night and when they are there GET READY, you better be prepared for a fight. I caught a 12lb flathead out of there on a light action rod and it was all i could do to get him in. Lots of fun and LOTS OF LUCK.

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Pat.....Tom Brown is the conservation area you are looking for! That is as close as you are going to get to the mouth of the Nodaway, without being on someone elses property. When I was younger and didn't have a boat I fished there all of the time! I have caught several fish right there at the little cut just down from the mouth! The good thing about it is, if you fish that cut you are in a good seam of water. the channel swings in close to the bank right there, so you have a good chance of catching flatheads, channels, and maybe even a big blue! I was down there one evening fishing and a guy came down to chat for a bit, he said two days before his wife landed a 54 # flathead from that very spot! He even had pictures to prove it! I would say if you want to fish close to mouth of the nodaway, Tom Brown is where you need to go! Good Luck and let us know how you do!

Matt

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sure wish I could help you out. If you're ever my way,I'll take you to some spots on the Ohio river. Easy to get to and camp fire is no problem! Love to have you all sometime! :wink::big_smile:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The first thing on the list as far as you're concerned is you getting well,when that happens as much as I love to fish maybe eventually I can take ya up on that offer!--------SisterPat:smile2:

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure how far St. Joe is from Weston Bend State Park, but a short 1/4 mile walk takes you to where Bear Creek ties into the MO river. The creek is good for channels and the mouth of it is decent for about anything. There are pretty good trails along both the creek and the river, so you can move around fairly easy. Same for setting up your chair. Only problem is that it closes at sundown, but if you're going to be there all night, I guess it's not a big deal if the rangers lock the gate behind you...:smile2: I used to fish it all the time with the boys before I got a boat. Biggest fish we got out of there was a 24# blue. Good luck!

Branden

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They have gotten pretty strict about it from what I understand - they now want you out of the river area at nightfall. Since the trail head is a mile down from the camping section, all they have to do is look for cars parked there after dark. Why they even care about the nighttime access I do not know, but it's still a decent spot for daytime fishing.

13. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    hello again just thought i would say that where your talking about is one of my favorite spots there is a nice whole there about 40 ft todd /matt /and myself all fish that area and i would like to invite you and your brother to fish with us next time i head out yall can go with me in my boat if you would like:roll_eyes: