I need some help

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by amatuer cat catcher, Aug 13, 2006.

1. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    ok guys i know threads like this have been posted before but i really need some help. well ive trying to learn to catfish for a month or so but ive never had any luck i just sank a good bit of mony into a new rod and reel and ive tied many baits from river chums to soap to hot dogs to hicken liver and also bluegil dead and alive dog food and blood bait. I just made my first jug bait last night which my dad isnt happy about by the way. I feel good about minnows but im not catching anything. Peaople say they arent biting every time i go! its very frustrating. Is there somthing im doing wrong?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC James, you have came to the best catfishing site on the WWW brother.

Catfish are finaky, sometimes they will tear up one bait, and not the next day.

What area are you fishing??

Body of water, there are many members that life in NC, they may be able to help you out a little more.

Baits that are pretty dependable for me.
    1) Cut Shad
    2) Garlic Cured Chicken Livers
    3) Cut Gills
    4) Hog Wild
    5) Gold Fish
    6) Whole Gills
    7) Whole Chubs

What are you fishing for?? Blue Cats, Channel Cats, or Flathead Cats??

Flathead prefer live bait while Channels and Blues you have alot better luck with fresh cut bait.

Once you answer some of the above questions we will try and get ya some more help brother.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Greetings!

I have found that for different lakes, streams and rivers, you sometimes need to use different baits. Catching blue gills in a lake often make very good catfish bait when used in the same lake they were caught in.

I am also a big beleiver in stinkbaits. Using a jig with a rubber worm that has holes in it, often works very well. Also using big hooks with a chunk of sponge and a dip bait is also productive. Live baits always work very well, but often good old night crawlers work very well too. I plan on trying to use small shrimp with a blood bait, and see how productive it is.

Stoping by your local bait shop can also be informative when trying out a new spot.

4. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well now first things first.There are alot of things you need to explain first.Are in fshing in a river that has cats in it?If so,go explore it more and find some deep holes in it.Try around down trees,and edies.Try some creek chubs,different baits.Get some stink baits,do alot of different things.Remember this ,a ole catfish didn't get big by being dumb,now did he?:big_smile_2: :smile:

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Kenny great post brother with good info. Welcome to the BOC, glad to see ya jumped in and started posting. Thanks for helping out a fellow new member.

6. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    thanx for the help and for now ive just been going to like catfish ponds

7. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome Im glad you have found the best site for fishing, well help all we can. If you are fishing for cats in a pond try the deepest part of the pond. Its usually at the dam end of the pond. Problem ive found with ponds is that they are over fished and usually "out" of cats. Best bet for bank fishing is to find a dam on a river figure out where you can walk to the access area near the bottom of the dam. These places are hotspots for bank fisherman, you have much of what a cat needs there. Current, forage, and fresh oxygen from running water. Let us know what body of water you live near and us local guys can direct you to some great places to go. Just go to your profile and give a little bit more info, that would help. WELCOME!