I need some help with ideas to mod my 14' flat bottom boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by daniel-delarosa, Aug 5, 2009.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have a 14' Lowe jon boat that I want to get all rigged up with lights,rod holders, bait tank, bilge pump, batteries, foot controlled trolling motor...etc...etc. The problem is trying to figure out how to lay everything out. does styrafoam covered by plywood in the floor add anything??? One good thing I see about it is I could run my wires in the floor. Can those of you that own a jon boat post some pictures of what you have done to give me some ideas?

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Daniel, check out my last project in the boat modification journals, titled "My Lowe 1652,,,in progress". I just revived it so it should be near the top and easy to find for ya. Hope it helps, good luck.

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Not too fancy, I have an icechest in the middle I've fitted rod holders to that sits snugly just in the ribs. The wood board on the bow doubles as an anchor wrapping place as well as a trolling motor bracket. The deck is 3/8" marine plywood covered in carpet and the framing not touching the actual boat is aluminum 1" square tubing. The parts touching the boat are wooden (to prevent any kind of corrosion) and between the wood and aluminum I put rubber to keep it from squeaking. Rod holders can always be triple zip-tied to any of the side ribs on the boat. Just replace the zip ties as they rot in the sun so you don't lose poles, hehe, or find something better.

I ran a small trolling motor plug in the deck and got an attachment that bolts onto the original trolling motor connectors so it becomes plug accessble. The battery then just sits underneath.

Attached Files:

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    stu that is a nice approach. Sometimes you can get impressed by pictures with lots of stuff in them but more weight makes the boat harder to drag.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yeah its very easy to put too much stuff in a little jon boat like that, especially when fishing with 2 people all the time. My advice when it comes to small-boat mods is to try to keep it as basic as you can unless you're going to be alone all the time, otherwise it becomes a hassle while on the water. Only keep the basics, and storage is everything.

My conclustion: The boat seems to "shrink" when you're in the water, yet everything seems to be a great idea while on the driveway. So put all you want while the boat is trailered, then take half of it out and you should be okay, haha!

6. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    This is what I would do. Depending on ur money situation first I would start with lights and a battery. Basicly make ur boat lake "legal". then install ur battery and wire ur lights and ur trolling motor and anything else. Possibly a fold over crappie light? That's what I'm doin. Then I would get ur rod holders and then do the small stuff!

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    whats a fold over crappie light??

8. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
  9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
  10. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I ran my wires through the ribs on mine. I would try to replace any foam removed, under the wood. Open cell foams soak in water so used closed cell. I have not removed any foam on mine but I did put 3/8' plywood on the floor in the center section. My trolling motor is transom mount and I have a foot switch on the floor in front of me. I drive and fish from the rear seat. I have eight rod holders. Four on each side, six can be reached from the rear seat and 2 are in case I have someone in the front. I have a folding swivel seat mounted right on top of the rear bench. Leds in the floor and on the outside at the rod holders. It ain't pretty, but it fishes well.

I see a lot of guys put full front and rear decks with bass fishing seats on 14' and smaller jonboats. I would not. Not only because of the weight added, but when you are sitting that high up they become unstable. If you are pond fishing and you are the only boat out there, then go far it. If you are going put in a lake with wakeboard boats and other pleasure boats, don't do it. I don't have the decks on mine and have been swamped once and its no fun. What if, I had the extra 100 pounds of decks with all that crap stuffed under them and seats? I see a lot of newly modified jons for sell. I think it because they become unusable. I'm not against jonboat modification, I'm just saying think it out first. Know how much weight you're adding and the center of gravity if you sitting up on a front bass seat.

Attached Files:

11. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I ran my wires from the front to the back along the sides of my boat in 5/8's waterhose. It just fit under the ribs and laid in the recess area on the sides. While I was pulling the wires I pulled a couple extra for later things I might decide to add. I was glad I did because I added some 100 watt lights on the front of my boat and the wires were already run for me. After I finished running the waterhose I spray painted it to match the paint on my boat.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have a small 14' jon boat that I use on small to medium rivers and small lakes. Its a 1436. Biggest I wanted to go because sometimes I dont have the luxury of a ramp, and have to be able to carry it.:sad2: Its on a trailer, so when I drive the 50 miles to a ramp, I can be a normal boater.:smile2:
    I needed everything to be removeable so that I could still carry it.:wink: I have an old 6hp Evinrude that is light enough to carry down to the boat by one man. I used stadium seats from Wally World for the seats on the middle bench. They lay flat, take up little space, have pockets on them and have armrests.:cool2::smile2: They also keep you low in the boat, which is important.
    I also made a removeable front deck, that is not fastened to the boat in any way. It rests on the factory deck and also on the first rib. Its not big, but it sure makes throwing the cast net and anchor pullin ALOT easier. I used closed cell foam on the top. Its comfortable and dries fast.
    Contemplating on flooring the boat with it.
    For the floors I just used some regular plywood with regular 2x2s to strengthin it, thery are the same heighth of the ribs and keep it secure. Covered it in carpet, which is okay but not for me. It was cheap and will get me by til I do something about it.:smile2: I have a sheet of aluminum that I will eventually put in there.
    Anchor and navigation lights were permanately mounted. Wires ran though pipe under the ribs.
    Now the best part.:wink::smile2:
    I wanted to have a rod rack on the boat that was removeable and wasnt attached to the boat in a way that required holes.:smile2: No new holes went in the boat, except for the console that I mounted to the ribs to house the switch panel and depth finder.
    The rod rack is made from an aluminum track that is attached to the boat by turnbuckles. Its SOLID!
    Some cutom based to slide on the track and hold Driftmasters and a cutting board and she is done. I can mount it almost anywhere in the boat in just a few minutes. I now have it behind the rear bench.
    By far its my favorite part about the boat.
    Thanks again Ray and Tom for the help.:wink:
    [youtubevid]ukZ3R-OSvTQ[/youtubevid]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Sometimes you can get impressed by pictures with lots of stuff in them but more weight makes the boat harder to drag.>

ABSOLUTELY! Keep her as LIGHT as possible!

Bill in SC

14. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    whats the width on your lowe? its stick driven im assuming and what size motor. most of the pics people posted are of bigger boats. i wouldnt want to add too much weight to the boat as mentioned. im sure u could add maybe a couple storage bens unless noone else will be ridin but you then maybe you could add more weight. i just built a nice storage ben down the side of our boat. stores the battery and all the electrical runs into it and also makes a good cutting table for bait. lights are another must becase it can get annoying on the lake at night without lights. ill post pics of the boat when i upload um... good luck