I need some help w/ line choice

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    My good friend and i have been using the same line now for a year and a half. with no real issues. we both have just relined our polls a few weeks ago. the line is off of the same spool as before, as we buy bulk line the same as a bait store would. the type of line is called tight line it is a salt water line, so it should stand up to all the abuse that a freshwater fisherman would put it through. we are using 40 lb test and the last two trips when setting the hooks or shortly after our line has been breaking. it doesn't make sense. mostly because it has been on 3 of the 4 rods that we fish with regularly and we have checked them for frays in the line.

it cost me a 70 or so pounder last night (my friend saw it hit my bait and take off running and he really knows his stuff). I used to fish with spider line before, but i like the mono I've been using. does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is it dry rotted? That is what it seems like to me by the way you described it.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like the lines too old.You save money on the bulk spools,but you gotta be able to use it.Do you keep it stored in a cool,dark place?Everyone got their own idea on this ,but I only buy as much mono as I,m gonna use for the year.

4. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds like to me you got a bad lot of line.take it back and get a new one ,the dealer should take it back.I use basspro xcel mono for years I buy my line in bulk then hide it in the closet out of the sun.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    could of been on the store shelf for a while or in the sun, sounds like its old

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To be honest, that line is junk even if it is fresh..I bought 2 big spools of it, my buddy tried it out with very bad results, I had the same.

Just because they put salt water mono on the sticker, does not make it good line.

Get ya some berkly big game.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like to use braid, braid has no memory like mono and you can hold more on your reel, and it's tough as nails:wink:

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with flathunter. Just because it says "saltwater" doesn't make it any better of a line.

You should make sure you keep it out of the light when you store it. Keep the box it comes in and put the spool back in there.

9. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like spiderwire Stealth its good line and it is tough as all get out. Great line can make or break a fishing trip.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like dry rott to me.I would go with some power pro but thats just me.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    POWER PRO OR 30 BIG GAME OR CAJUN RED,

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks guys, i think i'm going to go back to my trusty old favorite spider wire. only trouble i have with it is that i cant get it to sink well and when it is windy i have to keep chasing my baits around the lake/pond if i'm not fishing on the bottom. Any suggestions about that?

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jeremy, not trying to tell ya what to do..But I have caught many big flatheads close to 60-lbs in river current with berkly big game, consider giving that a shot, and I only use 25-lb test..I have never had it break on a big fish.

But I do store my line in a dark place.

And it is only a few bucks more expensive than tight line.

Good look in what ever you choose, but the big game will sink well, and is much more abrasion resitance than spider wire.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used stren several times, I dont like it at all..But thats just me, I would not use it if it was free.

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Im slowly but surely getting away from mono as my main line. I still love 40 lb. big game. I use 60 lb. big game as my leaders. No problems. Ive been using 100 lb. power pro in the rivers and 65 lb. power pro in the lakes. Awesome stuff, but expensive. Im really liking the Suffix braid, but that stuff is even more expensive than power pro. Hard to get all the best line, equip., and things on a budget, but the money spent on power pro is well worth it. Its not like mono, you dont have to worry about the sun, dry rott, or any of that. No memory. Cast alot farther, etc. If you want to stop paying for line, spool up with power pro, and use big game 60 lb. or above for your leaders. Havent lost a fish yet. Just my 2 cents. Good luck you all. Stick a Pig !!! :big_smile:

16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    little update, i found a line called trilene HI-Test, it is supposed to be new and my local bait store recommended it to me. its a little thinner then average line but is supposed to be 15% stronger and hold less memory.

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jeremy, Hi-Test is some awesome line. Its been around for awhile. Its better than normal big game, but more expensive. Not a bad thing I can say about it. :big_smile:

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You finally seeing the light Keith?LOL:wink::cool2:.

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have it on a combo and so far with 2 fish landed with it (my avatar was the 2nd) I'm leaning to put it on all my rods.

20. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that was just what the guy at the bait shop said, but i have a feeling he smokes a lot of the left handed cigarette and kinda looses touch with whats going on around him. i'm going to try it out today so ill let you know how that goes.