I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by flatheadsteven, Mar 28, 2007.

1. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have gotten permision to fish an old gravel pit that suposably has some very big blues in it.iv never fished for blue cats before and im wanting to try to catch one.the lake is aprox. 6 acres,its deep everywere for the most part with some shallow bays and is fairly clear.theres 3 old cars in the lake and a few old trees laying in it and some old equiptment from wen they used to dig from the lake.so were should i try fishing at,around wat structure and depth.any help would be apreciated.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is all down to tow time on water, just try a lot of diffrent things when you go. Throw out as many lines as you can handle and put diffrent baits on each one until you find what works.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    steven ,how deep is the lake ? and how clear ? i know a spot here in ky you can see the bottom and clearly see utility polls aswell as big trucks and sheds probly 40' down . you can even see the fish . id try catching a bunch of fish bait fish and cutting them up while holding them in a bucket save as much blood and peices of cut bait as possible rig your line with hook only no weight but leave the bait you use in the bucket as well and pour it in the lake all at the same time let your bait settle with the chum this should draw the fish to you , if the water is clear stay back away from the water so the fish wont see you and hope they take the bait , you could continue attempting to bait one spot every other day for a few days to get the fish used to food in that spot other than that you might try useing live bait down deep throw out as far as you can and let it swim with just enough weight to pull it down slowly to the bottom cut a small gash in the side so as to bleed as it goes this will also get the blues attention

4. flatheadsteven

State:
    ohio
    the lake averages from 20-30 feet (fast drop offs) with some spots around 65 feet.its pretty clear u can see down prolly 15 ft after that u cant see much but u can c the old cars and trucks on the bottom along with old bulldozer parts.iv caught some big flatheads out of the lake and at night u can take a spotlight and c them roaming the banks in the summer.

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    where do huys find the type of fishing holes? are they old quarries or something?

6. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Are you fishing from the bank or boat? If you're fishing from a boat, try drift fishing with different baits, different depths, and have your lines at different distances from the boat. Once the fish are found, you can anchor down on them or make a couple different drifts over them. Hope this helps:smile2:

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you can see big flatheads crusing the bank with a spotlight for get the blues .put a bluegill 2 ft.under a bobber three ft.out from the bank and hold on.

8. flatheadsteven

State:
    ohio
    yea iv caught some 40 lb. flattys out of there pitchin live shad up the banks and on the bays.thats wat i usualy do is flathead fish but im wantin to catch a big blue.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with Charles, a 6 acre body of water isnt that big, the blues will be able to find the blood chum fairly easy and come to you.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would try some suspended baits at various depths and adjust once you start getting bites.

Are there any schooling baitfish in the quarry? If so, try the suspended baits on the wind blown side.

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Steven;
    I know it sounds silly to someone as young and in as good a physical shape as you are but please take this one piece of advice.
    If your out on the boat please, PLEASE, use your Flotation Device! You may never need it, but if you ever do you will be VERY Thankful you had it on that one time! Trust the "Old Dog" here as I have BTDT/Been There Done That.
    Have a safe and happy day and don't forget to post those pics of the whopper's you catch!:smile2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yes Andrew a gravel pit is the same as a quarry,or a strip pit in some locales

13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    We have fished this type of lake and also deep strip pits, any bait that is natural to the lake. Large crawfish are good as well as medium size frogs, the best is big shiners or 6 inch bluegills. Goodluck my friend.