I need some advice on bank fishing.

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Austincarl, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Austincarl

Austincarl New Member

State:
    Muscatine, Iowa
    Hey im new to the BOC. I dont have a boat so me and my dad fish under this bridge on the Cedar River. About 20 yards down the shore line is an over hanging tree, its leaves are barely in the water. We usually use Hog Wild stink bait, and Night Crawlers. We cast in our poles to where our lines are at the tree. The current is fairly swift. We try to get out everyday. Iv caught 5 small catfish on stinkbait..... I use a medium action pole, with a reel with a 14 lb test. I use and egg sinker, stopped by a slipshot. Then further down the line i tie on a rubber worm ( meant for stinkbait ).

So yea, it hasnt been going to well:embarassed: and i'd like some advice please!!!

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I use to fish the Ceder and the Iowa river around Conesville Iowa. We had a lot of luck using creek chubs and gills. They are great flathead bait. Find log jams, channels along the banks. Bullheads make great flathead bait also. The Guy I use to fish with up there passed away a few years ago so we don't go up there anymore. That is a nice river to fish...Good Luck.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hi Austin. Welcome to the BOC.
    A little bit more information would be helpful.
    Is the overhanging tree over deep water? Is the bank undercut at the tree? Can you fish from the bridge?
    Lots of guys that bank fish use bobbers.It might be interesting to try one.
    You don't mention what time of day you usually fish. Have you tried late evening into darkness?
    best of luck
    just

4. Austincarl

Austincarl New Member

State:
    Muscatine, Iowa

5. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    We were all newbe's once.
    Under cut means the water has cut under part of the trees root system.
    Thats a good place for cats to lie in wait for supper.
    Actually it doesn't have to be undercutting a tree. Any place the water has cut in under the bank is considered an undercut.
    In 6 feet of water you might want to try a little above that tree. That way your bait scent has some time to spread out hopefully attracting more cats.
    Down here in SE Iowa we call 6 feet of water a hole.
    Try the shallows above that deep water.
    best of luck
    just

6. Austincarl

Austincarl New Member

State:
    Muscatine, Iowa
    Where in South East Iowa, i live in Muscatine Iowa.

7. Austincarl

Austincarl New Member

State:
    Muscatine, Iowa
    any advice on what bait to use... do you know any secrets about bank fishing... if you were fishing with me what would u do.

8. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to The BOC Austin you should receive plenty of advice on this site.:0a23:

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey again Austin.
    I'm from Mt Pleasant.
    I've had good luck with dip baits. Worms are always a good bet.I like fresh chicken livers.
    If I were fishing with you I'd say" If they ain't biting on this side of the river lets try the other side."
    best of luck
    just

10. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Another thing Austin.
    I'd start another post down in "All Catfishing". There are a lot of catfishermen that bank fish all over this country. You're lucky enough to have access to a pretty good sized bunch of them here on the BOC.
    lots of luck
    just

11. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hey I live in muscatine and I would be happy to take you out fishing in a boat just let me know.md228@machlink.com

12. Austincarl

Austincarl New Member

State:
    Muscatine, Iowa
    hey rippin lips, who are you, maybe i know you. Ill email you.

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dont feel alone we just got our boat!! But for $30 bucks you can get one those little depth fish finders you cast out. They work slick!! Saves a lot of time. Good luck to you!!

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'm a pretty hardcore bankfisherman and did a lot of smaller river fishing this year. If you are gonna pull a late nighter spend a few hours catching some bluegill, creek chubs, or bullhead and pop em in a bait bucket. Put them on a hook later and cast them near structure (fallen trees and such places a fish can take cover). Other than that keep trying those crawlers.