I need snagless rig for bank fishing.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by firechief4201, Mar 18, 2008.

1. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    There is a new spot I am going to try on the Ohio River and there a lot of roots in that area. I need help coming up with a rig for roots that won't snag as much. I mostly use a slip sinker rig but I don't think it will to well there.:embarassed:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Danny, you should use a three way rig. Check out the BOC library. Take plenty of lead and resist the urge to keep checking your bait.:big_smile:

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've recently been using a modified three way slip rig with a peg float attatched to a long leader to keep my bait suspended up off the bottom. I haven't tried it with a live bait yet, but with cutbait i have noticed a decrease in hangups. The spot i've been experimenting with this rig there is a lot of standing timber that is just below the surface.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Danny, you may have to experiment with a float. See if you can get it close enough to the structure and hold it. Or do repeated drifts past the structure.

5. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Your choice of bait may be as important as your rig . Bluegill are terrible about swimming your line around objects as are live shad. Green Sunfish arent nearly as bad . As far as a rig goes very few are snagless but if you use only one hook you can hide its point in bait just below surface of skin.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use a dropper loop three way rig. The drop to the hook is only 3-4 inches long, works good even with live bait and there is no need for a float. When fishing areas with alot of snags I use a surgeons loop for the hook drop. This knot leaves a weak spot on the tag end which is what your sinker will be tied to, when you hangup the line will break but you will only lose the sinker. I have caught a good many Flatheads over 40lbs using this rig with 20lb mono line and it works very well.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats right Griz, You have to be willing to lose lead to catch the big ones.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    depending on current, and if you don't want to do the float thing, try the sacrificial sinker rig, a three way where your weight is below the bait, and tied on with lighter line than your main line. also, as long as you are not hung up, you can control your livebait with this rig better than a traditional carolina rig.