I need rabbit recipes...quickly!

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by field989, Feb 11, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I SHOT 4 rabbits today and i need some receipies(sp) ASAP!

i would like to maybe make a stew of some kind.... NOT TOO complicated though cuz I will be making it!

Thanks Alot

Jeff

2. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    cook like chicken, works great.

3. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Jeff.
    I was going to tell ya to cut them babies up and start a frying them until I saw where you wanted to make a stew.
    I don't use recipie to make my stews with so I ain't going to be much help.
    Sassy

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well the "stew" factor dont really matter to me much.....

just need some tips lol

5. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Jeff,

We recently revamped the BOC Diner with a table of contents that makes member recipes easy to find. Try looking over it, especially under Wild Game, for easy and delicious recipes.

But beware, you're bound to be running hungry to the kitchen after reading what's in there. :lol:

Here's the link:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38199

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I made a stew once ,after we fried the rabbit . I used the leftover pieces that werent eaten for that meal and just started addin whatever I had in hand ,canned green beans ,corn a few potatoes ,carrots and some macaroni to help thicken it . just use your imiganation with the veggies

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
  8. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    I haven't cooked rabbit in a long time but I always put salt and pepper on it, rolled it in flour, and browned it is oil. Then I turned the fire down and covered it with a lid to let it finish cooking. Cut into it with a knife to make sure it's done. Make a little gravy with the drippings and enjoy!

Okie gal

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Now thats what I'm talking about. Thats plumb laripan:smile2: .

10. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Rabbits
    1 lg. can tomatoes, mashed
    1 onion, chopped
    3 carrots sliced
    Curry powder to taste

Parboil rabbits, cut in pieces. Drain and dry. Then brown the pieces with salt and pepper to taste. Next prepare mixture using tomatoes, onions, curry powder, salt and pepper. Add browned rabbit pieces to mixture and stew at low temperature for 3 to 4 hours. Thicken juice with flour and water for the gravy. Meat will fall off the bones.

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    fry it like you would chicken.....egg dip and then flour...yuuuuuuummmmm

12. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Jeff,
    Here is how I do some of my stews its easy and after you do it once it gets easer.
    After you make it the first time you can experiment
    with seasoning and ingredients.

Cut your rabbit up I leave the bone in but if you like just meat you have to take the bone out.
    Put your rabbit in a pot and cover it with water.(about a half inch over the top of the rabbit).
    After the rabbit begins to boil add some chopped onions. I like two onions in mine.
    Boil it for about 25 minutes on med. heat.
    Check the rabbit to see if its tender if not cook it some more.
    Dice up some potatoes(Bite size).
    Dice up some carrots (I cut mine round not too thick.
    Add salt and pepper (start off with one teaspoons of each) and you can taste the liquid and add to it if you want.
    Cook the potatoes and carrots on a low boil for 10 minutes.
    Check the potatoes and see if they are done.
    You can add any seasoning that you want.
    You can also add canned peas or other veggies to it if you want.
    The secret to cooking a good stew is to taste it all along and make sure you have it seasoned right.(It will taste good to you).
    Butter you some bread or biscuits.
    Serve this over rice and...
    WA LAA!
    You have rabbit stew.
    Try it you will like it!:smile2:
    GOOD LUCK!

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Rabbit tracks running in Grease ( a leading southern favorite!)
    Sprinkle flour over an area where rabbits congregate.
    Put small amount of grease in bottom of fry-pan.
    Place pan on edge of area, with a bit of clover or other delicacy in middle of pan.
    When sufficient tracks are collected, fry gently till golden brown.
    If clover is left in pan, the meal is already garnished.
    Heres some more recipes....
    http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/rabbit.html

14. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff,
    Years ago I raised domestic rabbits. I was doing alot of fishing in those days and was always deep frying fish.We had several ways of cooking the rabbits mainly pan fryed like chicken . When we would do a fish fry I would cut up some rabbit ,drain it , use the same batter as we were using for the fish. Put the rabbit in a bag with the batter ( Andys Will Work) shake it up good till the rabbit has a even coating. Put the rabbit in the microwave on high for 6-8 min. The coating will seal in the moisture, and juices keeping the meat from drying out . Now put your rabbit it your fish fryer and cook 6-8 min. When it is a nice goldenbrown take it out and try it. the cooking time will very as to how big the rabbits are wild ones are usually much smaller.
    Olddriller (retired ) Going Fishing Doint Block The Ramp.
    Paul

15. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    my favorite is rabbit perlio. boil the rabbit meat with onion, garlic , and salt and pepper. when meat is tender pull it from the bone. measure the liquid you have with a measuring cup and put meat and liquid in pot and bring to a boil. add as many cups of minite rice as you have liquid and bring back to a boil. put lid on pot and shut off burner. dont lift the lid for 10 min. open lid and stir. then PIG OUT!!

GARY:smile2:

16. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Do you like gumbo? I use squirrel, rabbit, duck, and other critters......lol I can give you that....add some cornbread or rice and what a meal......

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Boil Bugs in chicken stock 'till done, pull the meat from the bones, strain the broth, and freeze the meat and broth together.

From that point on, let your imagination guide you...ya really can't screw up rabbit. Our fave is rabbit pot pie.