I need LARGE channel catfish!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Blacky, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm in a multispecies contest with prett high stakes. The only way I have a chance at this things is winning the channel cat division. Can you guys give me any tips on getting the bigger channel cats?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Larger chunks of cut bait in areas known for channel cats!!! That is the only thing I can think of since I don't target them. Dip baits and dough baits work ok for small ones but, fresh cut shad or skipjack will do better for the big ones!!!

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Fish areas you know produce good sized channels. As Jw said, large portions of cut bait!!! You could also use live bait such as chubs or small to medium gills. The larger, more mature fish will want fish for food. Good luck.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Blacky

R u from PA??

:embarassed:

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    to get large channels i fish a lake that has NO FLATHEADS.
    this takes out a predator for channels. I target an area that changes from rocks to mud and use cut perch or shad. Use several rods in different parts of the area, some in the mud some in the rocks, and fish at night. This is the only way i have caught alot of large channels at one time. If the stakes are high enuff, make a trip to a lake that is known for the large channels. there are several in CA and one that i can promise a 10lber or better in one night here in texas.

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    For future reference, what lake can you promise a 10lber on?

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Santa Anna Lake, it is only about 30-40 acres (depending on water level) but has good channels and bass in it. In one night i have caught four 8lbers and 1 14lber and lost several more inbetween. Also caught 2 6lb bass on cut bait too.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

yes, sir! Lived in Philly since 1997.

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
  10. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Blacky, try the Nock. 1 rod live Gill or what ever you can catch on a slip bobber. The other rod use a good size peace of cut bait. The pear might be a good place to start, there's not to much grass around there. The low bridge 363 has a 15 18' channel not far off the shore. You might even look under the high bridge as well, it's hard to get to but might be worth you while. Good luck.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only time I ever catch 10# channel cats is while using whole, live perch about 3" long. I know they can be caught on other baits too, but I believe they become more predatory the older they get. Location is probably most important. Alot of waters near me don't even have channels over 10# due to slow growth rate, and high fishing pressure, so you gotta be sure they are in there.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I second this quote!

13. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    12-15" live bullheads

14. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i know blues normally hit crawfish good, but ive been catching some nice channels lately on them

15. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive caught plenty of 10 + lbers on magic bait 1 lb hamburger wheaties gotta be wheaties and strawberry jello i roll them in balls put trebble hook in them put them in an egg carton and freeze them i use big snap swivel and just snap them on sounds crazy works well for big channels biggest channel been 23 lbs usally fish creeks backed up off main river when waters up

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try some live bluegills or shad.

17. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    blacky, steer clear from any dip baits, as they tend to draw up the little ones. bigger fish will be able to feed on bigger bait, but that doesn't mean they aint gonna eat smaller forage. try medium sized cuts of bream. believe it or not, hotdogs do mighty fine as well.

18. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Come over this way to Ohio and I can show you a 10-12 pounder. How long do you have for your contest? Of sourse we need things to warm up a bit and as soon as they do channels will be easy to catch.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Big hooks and big bream heads. Forget the store bought bait.

20. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    bigger bait = bigger fish but fewer:sad2: