I need Jugline Help!

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by baptistpreach, Sep 16, 2009.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I went out setting just for the first time last night. I set out seven of them, half were cut shad, and half were cut perch. We set them at about 1ft. 3ft. and 5ft. I put a couple in the main lake, and a the rest in coves. This morning, all my hooks were cleaned, and the jugs had mostly washed to shore. Could you post how you make yours, and how you determine where to put them? I'd really like to learn what I'm doing wrong.

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I anchor my jug lines so the wind won't move them around. I place them in coves that have a creek channel in them. I usually set them on the edge of the creek channel and in the mouth of the creek channel if there has been a rain and the water is muddy. This will normally catch you good catfish. I set my jugs in deep water in the winter if the water is below about 50 degrees. I use cut bait and fish for big blues when its cold. I set my jugs out along the base of the dam in the spring if it has lots of rocks along the face of it. This will catch lots of channel cats. Spring time is ideal for those shallow creek channels again for some good yellow cat. Good luck and don't worry about the so called "sportsmen" that only fish with rod and reel. Ain't America great! We have freedom of choice! Catfishjon

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    David, I'm with you, diff strokes for diff folks. More than one way to catch them.
    I have used almost anything that floats through the years to make jugs but now use swimming noodles for the floats and use a lb weight to keep them where I put them. I have used railroad spikes for quite a few years until our railroad left. After getting a hook in my hand when a big catfish yanked the line I only use two hooks about 18 in to two ft apart.
    I have a good friend that uses Penn oil quart bottles with 3 or 4 oz lead weights with one hook and does great close to where you live at Canton.
    We try to put them on the drop offs where it goes to deep water and seem to do alright at times.
    Not much help but there is quite a few on the forum that are better than me.
    Bill

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    David, I jug line in rivers and lakes. I bulk order my line and make all my own sets. I had a mold made by a friend with a milling machine,to pour my own line weights. Each wieight weighs 4lbs. I tie it off to the bottom of each line. Then I move up from that 4ft and tie own a swivel, then move up from that 4ft and put own another swivel, then again 4ft and another swivel. The total length of line depends on where I am putting them. I have 2 sets of line. One for deeper water and one for shallow water. I have my hooks tied off on 14" drop lines that I slip into each swivel as I am baiting and setting the lines out. I use my depth finder to keep me over any holes and use a white jug to attach to the top of each line. If I am limb lining I just find a good tree hanging out over the water as close to a hole as I can find. I find a limb that has some give to it and tie my line to it. The give is important . That way a big catfish can pull on it and the line will not be broken. I have some streamers on clothespins I attach to the limb so I can find all my lines as I am going up and down the line. The hook sets are ony on my lines while I am using them. I remove the hook sets while they are stored and wrap up the line around each weights. They store good this way and I don't have the hooks to get caught on line as they as are stored.
    Others have variations to this and all work for their own situations. As you put time in fishing this way you will find little things you like too. I hope this helps you a little. It is just my way of doing it.

5. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Can I see some pictures of your setups? Also, with the summer still here, and it almost being fall (water was 72 degrees), any tips on where I should fish? Thanks a million guys! keep the posts coming.

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    David, I posted a few pictures of the my finished lines. It only shows them after I have put the line on them. If you look at the top of the table you will see the old way I did them. They worked ok but I always thought they were too rusty and hard on your hands when are running lines. I will try and post a few pictures of my hook sets. I hang the hooks from the top of a bucket. Letting the staging hang down into the bucket. On each end of the staging I have a clip that I snap on and off the main line as I am setting it out and then taking it up when I am finished fishing. Doing it this way keeps everything separated.
    You will find the post in the "Members Library" under "Trot Line Weights"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    David I set my jugs at the same depths you are using and we usually find a cove with a shallow flat in them and turn the jugs loose upwind and let them drift across it. We will usually drift them across the flat 3 or 4 times. I use just enough weight to keep the bait down. I normally stay with my jugs and fish them until 12 mid to 1:30 am. I have been having good luck with trotline minnows for bait. The main thing is to keep experimenting until you find something that works for you and above all have some fun.

8. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have found the best float to use is a Dollar Tree Noodle. Its hard to find them this time of year, but I usually buy at least 10 of them each april or may or whenever they come out with the summer junk. After losing many big fish I now cut the noodles in half, so that they are 2 feet long. I then shove 1/2 inch pvc into the hole in the noodle so that it doesn't collapse and the line rip through it, but leave about 2 inches short of pvc so I can shove the weight in to keep it from tangling with the other jugs.

I use 1/8 inch line you get in the fishing isle and set my shallow jugs at about 6-10 feet and my deep jugs at 18-25 feet. Doesn't seem like I catch anything much deeper than that. I use 5/0 to 7/0 trot line or O'Shaugessy hooks made by Eagle Claw. Then about 18 inches below the hook I put about a 2 to 4 ounce weight. I have had problems with big cats or storms dragging my jugs up to about a 1 mile from where I left em, and putting the weight at the bottom keeps it from moving much.

I have used bleach jugs, 2 liter jugs, smaller noodle set ups, and other junk and I either cant keep em from tangling with the other jugs, or I dont have a good place to put the hook and it tangles in the line, or the little jugs the big cats can hold under long enough for me to quit looking.

Its hard to beat pulling up to a jug and seeing it get dragged under water by a good cat!

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sharper or more gapped hooks & heavier anchor. :wink:

10. Wades39

Wades39 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I don't know if i can offer anymore help than you've been given but i will try. Me and my fishing partner put out anywhere from 50-80 jugs. We use 32oz Gator Aid bottles we paint using flouresant orange and attach reflective stickers too with about 6' of nylon attached to the bottle, the nylon can be easily adjusted for any dept up to 6' using a knot that im not able to explain here. We attach a 3/4 oz egg sinker approximately 6" above a #8 circle hook. We fish coves and bays off the Ross Barnett Reservoir here so wind usually inst a problem for us. We normally bait with shad if we plan on just working the jugs or cut pond perch if we want to go do a little tight linen. I hope this has been some help and good luck.