I need Info!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Arkie55, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey all,
    It looks like there is about a 90% chance that my family and I will be relocating to south Mississippi. If we go, we will be living in the south Hattiesburg area. I know there are several smaller lakes and small rivers in the area. What I want to know, of course, is how good the catfishing is in the area? Good places to cast my net for bait? How far from Hattiesburg over to the big muddy? How about the Pearl River? The Black River?

Oh yeah, and how about the crappie fishing. I do like to take a few crappie fishing trips in the spirng.

I could be living there as early as the first of March with my family moving down around the first of June. Any help?

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    hey terry.......... solomon moody lives around poplarville,ms which is southwest of hburg on I59........ he is a member of boc , goes by the handle, solomon............. that is about all i can tell u about fishing south misipy....:embarassed:........as for the misipy river , u about as close to it now as u will be at hburg, maybe closer...:sad2:

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    terry does this meen our fishing trip to the black is off.inquiring minds want to know.

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Naw Johnnie, it just means we will have to plan. I have three boats and will only take one down with me. I will sell one, and leave one with my dad so I'll have one to use when I'm here. I know we'll be making regular trips so getting on the black will be easy.

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Your best bets would be the Bouie, Leaf or the Pearl. Leaf river pretty much runs right by Hattiesburg. I think there's access all along it but I'm not sure of ramp conditions or how hard the river is to run. I've never fished it but I've heard of some good fish being caught. I only fish the Pearl. From Hattiesburg the closest access to the Pearl is Columbia, but in the summertime it gets very shallow and is hard to navigate. I think last summer the guage at Columbia read 6" most of the way through. It's a little deeper as you go south, on up to normal level of 8-15'. The next public boat ramp south of Columbia is under the Hwy 26 bridge in Bogalusa. I don't know where the next ramp north of 98 is. At different times of the year the fishing in the Pearl can be real good or pretty dead. I don't crappie fish much more than a couple times a year, and usually go to Lake Washington. From what I understand though, Lake Perry has some decent crappie fishing, and it's about 25 miles from Hattiesburg, at Beaumont.

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Guys it's 99.99% sure I'll be in south Mississippi by the end of March or before. Looks like I'll be living in the Wiggins/Poplarville area (or somewhere near). I'm gonna need some help guys. Solomon, I'll likely be leaning on you for all the help and tips I can get. I may be coming down your way in a week or two and If I do, I'll PM you. I would like to get together for coffee, lunch or something to talk.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    No problem. Let me know, and if you're in P'ville during the day you can swing by my office and we can talk. Let me know too if you need assistance locating a house or property. My wife's an agent here in town and has the skinny on what's available around the county. I'd be happy to put you in touch with her if you end up needing that.