I need info on riggings...

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by KevMan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've searched the site and I think I'm to dumb to find what I'm looking for:dribble:...
    I need a rig that will suspend my bait off the bottom, something I can adjust according to depth and where they may be feeding.
    :confused2: , I've tried a few of my own rigs but, if I'm asking I guess you already know how they worked out.
    Thanks...

2. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    have you tried using slip corks

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught over 100 citation blues 30 pounds and over this past winter and spring in the James. Guessing 80% came off three way swivels with bait two feet off the bottom. I tried using floats on my leader as I have read of others doing but never had close to the sucess I had this spring using the three ways. Good luck.

4. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I personally don't care for the 3way swivel rig but I do use a carolina rig with a 2 1/4 to 3 1/2 inch slip cork approx. 3 inches pegged above the hook on the shock line using varios size egg sinkers depending on depth, current, still or drift fishing. As far as suspending bait, I use billy boy slip corks set at various depths til I find where they are cruising. This works well at Kerr Lake.

5. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    The big slip cork bobbers work great. I have a DVD on fishing monster Stripers in the Chesapeake Bay in late fall early winter. Basically mark fish then set your bait slightly above the fish. First time I tried it last December, we put 3 forty pound Stripers in the boat. Man do the big one love eels..

6. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    Try a carolina rig but just use a slip cork float to kee you bait about 6 inches of the bottom works well for me if you have a three foot leader just put the float about a foot to 18 inches away from the hook. its basically like the santee cooper rig

7. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    When "Carolina Rig" is mentioned here (this site in general), you are referring to a "fishfinder rig", correct???

And also: Would you consider this rig problematic, bank or pier fishing, in a river with a good amount of current???

Thanks...
    SS

8. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    A fish finder rig is a plastic sleeve or type with a snap swivel that you can snap the weight to such as bell, banker or pyramid sinkers. That stops at the swivel above the hook leader.

A carolina Rig has the weight free sliding up and down the main line, no sort of sleeve is used. the weight stops agaist the swivel above your hook leader.

Both as basically the same in principal, but just a little different with the terminal tackle.

As for the floats and 3way rigs. I belive theres a time a place for them. I belive a threeway rig works better in the current, such as rivers and tidal currents to were the float attached to your leader line works better in the still waters such as lakes. In current I dont belive the float will suspend the bait Near as well as it does in the still water of lakes. I'm sure the current pushes it back down. To were a 3way rig the bait is held straight out from the swivel, height off the bottom depends on the lentch of youline from the swivel to the weight...

9. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Three ways are killer in the James. I fish 2-3 feet off the bottom on my three ways. As you said the baited leader runs straight out from the swivel. Cats love them as do Big Ocean Stripers like em also in the Spring when they are spawning in the rivers. The James has incredible current when the tide is coming in or out. I put a rubber skirt, beads, and a big spinner blade in front of my 8/0 circle hook. Drop it in the current and the blade is spinning so fast it would cut a finger:smile2:. I don't know if the blade helps or not but it definitely doesn't hurt and I feel the noise it makes help the fish find my bait. I tried floats and like you said, I think the floats get pushed down to the bottom by all the current. I never saw much difference in catch rates for floats versus plain sliding bottom rigs. I see a huge difference on the three ways. I catch 75% of my fish on the three way with half three way , half simple bottom rigs. I also am lazy but like to catch big cats so I only fish the easy months from late January after Deer season until the spawn in late April.

10. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Got it, Travis.... Knew Carolina from Bass fishing, but wasn't really thinking, as I called it Fishfinder Flounder fishing... whether with or without the slider as I usually didn't use that part.

That's something I would have never thought of for Cats.... Pretty much the same rig I use for Flounder, fishing Killies!

Thanks Guys,

SS

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Kevin, I'll throw in a little plug for a long-time sponsor of the BOC, Wild Wolf Products. Check out their KatBobber: http://www.wildwolfproducts.com.

They provide you wound information as to why their bobbers work well, and a good illustration of how to rig them. They basically work as a slip float, but they also provide outstanding resistance to the point that, when using a circle or octopus hook, the fish practically hooks himself.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joel beat me to it. I totally agree with his post and the product he suggested. The Katbobbers take the work out of fishing.

13. KevMan

KevMan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well, I certainly have received a lot of great tips and I thank each and everyone of you on your imput. I haven't been able to find a slipcork no where so, I improvised and bought my own corks. I drilled holes in them and there you go. I took them to the lake and put my egg weights on then my corks then the swivels, hook and bait, dropped it in the water to have a look if it was setting to far up off the bottom I just trimmed some cork off until I got what I was looking for with different baits.
    The idea of the slipcork was wonderous and surely cured this ( :dribble: ) feeling. The corks worked great in casting, too. I try to stay low tech in a lot of ways. I make things easy as I can when I fish. If I lose a hook or bust a line I want to get my line back in the water A.S.A.P. I hope you fellas can understand that.
    I've even thought up a way to improve the cork and I'm working on it today. When I'm done I will snap a few photos of it and post it here for my B.O.C. brothers to look at if your interested.
    Thanks again everyone. Your a bunch of great guys and very helpful.