I need info? do the blues and channel cats start leaving the deeper water?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by CJSCASTER, Mar 6, 2006.

1. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey guys, (and ladies too) after spending several months reading your posts, I finally joined up. You all seem like a great bunch of people. My first ever post is this question..... When, in Oklahoma, do the blues and channel cats start leaving the deeper water for the spring pattern. Water temp? and time of year (usually). I'm looking forward to meeting all of you some day and hope to hear from you soon.

Paul

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    First of all, WELCOME!! You've found the best place on the WWW to be for fishing information. There are many members here much more knowledgeable than I who can answer any questions you may have!

3. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Well i live in Texas but would think that the spawning periods are the same or closely related. The catfish start to spawn i believe when the water temp reaches 75*. I know that flatheads start to bite when the water temp reaches around 55*, so i guess that this temp would also be when the bues and channels start to move out of the deeper water. The way the weather has been acting this year i would think that it should be prime time in a week or two. :0a26:

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I don't have the information you are seeking, but you will get what you are looking for. I just wanted to say howdy and Welcome to the best fishing site on the net, with the best bunch of guy and gals around.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    oh yea thats the pattern i know. Havent caught any in deep water lately and Ive been fishing weekly. I think there moving into shallower water now. The Sandbass have been running in the Cimmaron river. That usually is followed by the cats getting more active from my expirience. I fish rivers mostly except in the winter. Other guys on here can tell you more.

7. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

mtrimble,

Thanks

8. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

mtrimble

What I meant to ask on the last post was this, do you think the warmer than usual winter we had this year has got the fish started earlier than normal this year???

Thanks, Paul.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    The Channels are shallow here in kansas now. Caught them in 2ft of water last week.

10. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Well, I was always told that when the dogwoods and bartlett pear trees start blooming the fish start moving.

11. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Thanks for all the answers...You made up my mind, I believe I'll do a little fishin this weekend....Thanks again....

12. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Geeeeeeze now we are gonna get the blame if he don't catch any fish this weekend. AND I guess you know where the credit will go if he catches a good mess or a BIGGUN !!! ;)

13. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The sandies are on the move in the Cimmarron. That is the word from my cousin. A bit earlier, if I remember right, then past years.

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Paul,

Are there blues in Canton Lake? I have never caught any in the North Canadian but I have in Hefner which is fed by the North Canadian. I spoke with a guy about a year ago that told me the state biologists wanted to keep them out of the n. canadian cause they will upset the balance in that river.

15. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    All winter i been getting channels in deep holes,they seemed to be stacked up in the same holes just circling around the bottom.With tghe warmer weather we been having,and i'm assuming you've experienced a few warm days in Ohio,they are starting to spread out.

I'd try fishing in locations inbetween their wintering holes and their spawning grounds.

Water temp the other day was 48 degrees but no fish in the holes,did find them out closer to the main channel and they are starting to hit like channels again.No more of that tap,tap tap,crap!

I believe during winter they get themselves in the deepest hole they can find anjd naturally one that has some kind of food supply around it.When the weather starts to break they leave and start to spread out like they'd be in the summer.I found a few over the weekend that were in spots i will hit in the fall or late summer.

Give it about 15-20 minutes and move on if theres no bite.If the channels are there you'll know it fer sure,like i said the bite is back!

16. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey Oldprowler,

I think you got it right, I'd have to find someone to blame it on if I got skunked, it wouldn't do to admit it was my fault would it? But if I catch a biggun "IT WAS ALL ME BABY!!!" ;) Besides, if I get skunked, you BOC brothers would feel compelled to heap catfishing wisdom on me in order to avoid another embarrassing performance by a member,lol.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure and let you know how it came out.

17. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Mtrimble,

I've always been told there are blues in Canton lake but I couldn't say from experience. They are supposed to be in Overholser in OKC also. Have you tried or heard about anything in the new Oklahoma River that runs through OKC?

18. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I heard they stocked it with "catfish". They didn't say what kind. But I heard they were not all little fingerlings. There were bigger fish stocked, too.

19. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yea I heard about the stockings. I dont fish those lakes much because they a just plain ugly. I do catch most of my shad by the spillways, however, before heading to nicer areas.