I need help

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by myname6, Apr 7, 2008.

1. myname6

myname6 New Member

State:
    MO
    I can not for the life of me catch a catfish I have tried everything shad the berkley and misc other dough baits I seen that live blue gill are good but I live in KC metro aera and cant find any all I can find is worms minnow and goldfish I am fishing in like a 3-4 acre resavore down south and I also dont have a boat anyideas

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well, Adam I'm not familiar with the area your fishing, but there are plenty on here who can steer you in the right direction. As for bait, what size fish are you looking for and do you fish the river, a creek, a lake...Do you have a boat or are you fishing from the bank?

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    get some chicken breast cut in slices and let it soak in garlic powder, it works, you can catch some good channels on it.

4. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Fishing from the banks alot of people make the mistake of fishing to deep and fishing to far from the shore. This time of year the cats are up in the shallows feeding because the rest of the fish are in the shallows feeding or spawning.

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Look at the area you are fishing. There is a lot to look for depth, food, cover, current. look for the best area and fish.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

7. myname6

myname6 New Member

State:
    MO
    Well Thank you all for your help I am going to keep trying do any of you know any good river spots close to KC I havnt river fished yet but would like to try

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Adam.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Adam!!!:big_smile:

10. myname6

myname6 New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey where do you fish at

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Local lakes and Truman. Need some lessons on river fishing. Wanting to try that.

12. catfish2006

catfish2006 New Member

State:
    Saint Ann, Miss
    have you used chicken liver live it in the sun for a day. that what i used and good luck

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to THE GREAT BOC, I'd like to head out iwth you and Bluejay

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Depends on what's in the reservoir you're fishing - if there aren't many catfish, then you might as well be throwing a bare hook:wink:

If it's a small conservation dept. lake it's most likely stocked with channel cats. If it were me, I'd throw some livers out there. You can let them spoil, but then they're just more of a mess:smile2: I do just as well with fresh ones when I'm in the mood to channel cat fish. Channels will take goldfish, shiners, etc, as well. Chances are the small lake you're fishing in has bluegills in it, take an ultralight with you to catch bait with while you're waiting on a bite on your cat rods. Then you can use them live or as cut bait. Crawdads are hard to beat in the spring for channels as well and local baitshops will have them every so often.

In front of the dam is probably going to be the deepest water, but since you're on the bank it's going to be a lot of trial and error. You can judge depth by how long it takes your sinker to hit bottom, for example. Or you can ask boaters that happen by what the depth is where you're at, where they've found deep water, etc. Look for irregularities like points that go out into the lake (good spots, usually), small creeks coming in, lots of things can give you a clue as to what's under the water. Watch along the shoreline for shad flipping or other signs of small fish feeding on top - big fish eat little fish, so where there's little fish, there's usually a cat or two hanging out.

As far as the river, I really enjoyed fishing at Weston Bend SP from the bank - you can either fish the river or Bear Creek. My son and I used to do real well up there on channels when we were bank fishing and would hit a blue every now and then. Good Luck!

Branden

15. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    do you have a water flow into the lake,if you do i would start there first. with all the rain that we got latley try some frozen shrimp,worked for me last year.good luck!

16. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    GET YOURSELF SOME CHIKEN LIVERS AND SPRINKLE THEM WITH GARLIC SALT.LET THEM DRY OUT FOR A FEW DAYS AND THEN PUT THEM IN A ZIPLOCK BAG.YOU ARE SURE TO CATCH YOU SOME CHANNEL CATS!

17. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    A BAD DAY OF FISHIN IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!!!

18. poolman37

poolman37 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Might try those goldfish on a bobber(or in my case a soda bottle:smile2:), close to the bank next to weeds, logs or lilly pads.

19. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Adam welcome to the boc,just keep o tryin your day will come..

20. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Barry welcome to the boc from north carolina..