I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Feb 26, 2008.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    :0a35:How do remove painted on I.D. numbers on a fiberglass hull with out any damage?

Any help would great.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Bumping you to the top!!!!

Wish I could help but I don't have a clue. M.E.K. will take off the paint if a catalyst wasn't used on it but it could damage your gelcoat maybe. Might try an inconspicious area.

Mineral spirits?

Denatured Alcohol?

Paint thinner?

Sorry, just guessing here.

3. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    years ago we used easy off oven cleaner.spray a little on a rag & rub the paint & see how it works. that is how we took off the lettering on delivery truck. I was in body& paint work for 20 yrs. robin

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Do you have a automotive body shop near you? I would stop in and ask them for suggestions. I know for decals they have a rubber like wheel they use to remove pin stripes and decals. They can pull the stickers off with that wheel in just a couple minutes. The right tool for the job can save you a lot of time. I don't know what else to try. Whatever you try test it first in a spot that won't be seen. That way if it screws up the paint... Well you know why. LOL:smile2::eek:oooh::crazy::big_smile:

Thanks
    David

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You could try a heat gun, if it is a vinyl type sticker and then mek to remove the glue residue.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    he said they were painted on so that wont help..

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Possibly could use one of those single edge razor blade devices like they remove inspection stickers off auto glass with. You would have to gently bend up the two outer edges of the blade so they wouldn't dig into the gel coat as you manipulated the device. You would have to do it carefully, but I think you could pull it off in this way.
    Bill in SC

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    No they aren't decals they are painted on. Which Makes it more of a pain. We are thinking about putting a piece of 3in wide black decal material over them.

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Covering it might be the easiest!

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    You might try easy off oven cleaner.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Peel Away Marine Safety Strip. It is kind of pricey to just take some ID numbers off though. About $55 a gal. It works though. A friend used it on his bass boat.

12. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Maybe using a fine sandpaper to break it down a little, then using paint thinner lightly should get most of it. I have a fiberglass boat that I have had to do some fiberglass patch work on and the paint gets down in the pours. It may put a dull finish on the area but wax the are with a little boat wax or rubbing compound and it should not be to bad an area.

13. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lowes sales a orange paint remover that gives you time to work with it. I think it would give time to take it off slowly and safely.