I need help

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fisherdude14, Jul 23, 2007.

1. fisherdude14

fisherdude14 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is going to be my first catfish rod,and i have 40 dollars to spend,im thinking about a ugly stick catfish rod,the two peice,but is it worth it,and will it break or is there any other rod thats good,thanks for the help

2. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Those Ugly Stik's are hard to beat. Check out some of the other threads about good rod/reel combo's. There is a LOT of good info here.

Welcome to the BOC!

Tony

3. fisherdude14

fisherdude14 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks,i had a rhino indestructible which got snapped by my fish in my avatar when i was bass fishing,and it was awesome catching the fish,so thats wat got me into cat fishing

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    The ugly cat is a awsome rod for all but the toughest fishing conditions . I personally have found that two rods cover all my fishing needs as far as cats and other species of larger fish here in the northeast . The MH ugly cat and the MH Tiger rod (yellow) . We are only allowed two rods here and these are my choices . I use a penn 9 on my ugly and the jigmaster 500 or penn 320GTI on my Tiger .

5. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    CHRIS WELCOME TO THE BOC:wink:THE UGLY STICK RODS ARE HARD TO BEAT

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the 7' mh one piece would probally be stronger less likely to break

7. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    Chris i use two ugly cats with a abu 7000 and 6500. they do very well imo. welcome to the boc.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Go to Wal-Mart and you can get two 7'6" Berkley Big Game rods for the price of one Ugly Stick. They are good rods and work very well with circle hooks. Get you a couple of the smaller Okuma reels that they have on catfish connection and you have less than $50 in a nice catfish combo. Just my 2 cents.

9. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    hey a friend of mine just bought two beefsticks and loves them depends on what kind of money you have access to i would love to have some 8 to 12 ft tigers but cant afford it so im going with a little cheaper pole like the beef sticks so i can afford better reels like abus and penns and okumas just a thought good luck and dont let the stress of looking get to ya

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chris, you can't beat the Ugly stick rods, one thing I will say though, as far as durability you would be better off with a one piece if that is an option. I know sometimes that hauling a one piece rod is a pain, but if you have a truck, it will make you a more durable rod. Vern

11. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Ugly Sticks are my favorite out of the cheaper rods. If you're on a tight budget, you can get a Cat Claw 8' rod for $20, which is a very good deal. It's not quite as good as the Ugly Sticks, but it sure can get it done.

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree those Big Games rods seem pretty good. Bought one on a whim for my nephew who wanted to go fishing with me about a month back. I have used it a few time and think the action (feel) of the rod is almost just right. Probably not as stout as the ugly sticks but has some bend in with out been to sloppy. Not sure about the Okuma reels my bail failed after about 4 uses and have heard similiar complaints. I will have to go with the Shimano Sedona 4000 here if you can come up with the extra ten bucks.