I need help

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Oct 26, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    hey everyone,
    ive been fishing for channel catfish in a pond called heather farms ( look it up to see what its like ). when i fish there i cat like one cat from 1-2 pounds....
    everyone else iss next to me fishing is catching 4-8 pounders sometimes more
    i dont know how deep the pond is but it might be like 4 or 5 feet mabey more im not sure. any advice would be great! ( by the way im going tomorrow and im using chicken liver with garlic powder, strawberry dough balls ( i used extract not jello or kool-aid[ is that bad ] ), raw shrimp ( never works for me ) and beef livers ( i dont know if those work ) i also made a chum

the blood of 2 containers of chicken livers
    flour/ cornmeal

thanks for the advice!!!!!!! :smile2::smile2:

2. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never caught a cat in a pond. but I recently read and saw a pic of 31 channels caught on fresh salmon (get it at the grocery). Also check out what the other fishermen are using and where they cast. For fresh bait, use a bobber & small hook w/ worm chunk or canned corn to catch bream. I'm sure bream is a main food source for the cats unless there's shad. You could try a cast net when nobody is fishing and throw it everywhere you can to catch baitfish. Use the smaller ones whole and the bigger ones just the head & guts. Remember bigger baits=bigger fish.

I hope this helps.

And welcome to the BOC!

3. IfishFORcatfish

State:
    california
    thanks for the help !!!! i will try that !

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would Fish Here or here if this is the farm in Walnut Creek CA. Looks like a real nice Pond. Get some cut bait if you can use it (Gills/Bream) cut the head off you should get some good hits.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Use some bigger cut and fresh gills or shiners, this should put you on some bigger fish.

Wheelmobile07

6. IfishFORcatfish

State:
    california
    thanks for tips everyone !!

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you can Eric, find a stretch of bank all by yourself, less noise, stopming around, loud talking the better. Use some small live gills or cut shad or gills. The larger fish prefer them over all those store baits and homemade concoctions. Fish at night or early morning, and be quiet. Big fish don't get to be big by being dumb. If you have a weededge in the pond toss some baits to the outside of the edge towards deeper water and one on the inside edge up aginst the bank. The big channels cruise the weeds looking for gills to eat.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Try catching some bait from where you are fishing and using that. Also, what kind of setups and hooks you use can have a big effect on your hookup rates. I fish mostly in lakes and ponds using a carolina rig with cut shad or bluegill and the least amount of weight possible. I'm also using siae 5 eagle claw circle hooks. I've caught 68 catfish this year with an average weight over 5 pounds.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey man in ponds shrimp has always worked better than anything else.

10. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    On pond fishing, if someone else is catching and I am not, I take a break and watch what they are doing. How deep, where, how far for bank, bait, everything that I can see and then try their way. There is usually a weed line of something making the difference.
    Jim

11. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Those photos of that pond look great ........ :smile2:
    Is there any place around the pond that the bank can't be fished?
    I ask that, because if you can cast to it from your bank, then you will put yourself in a good position to catch some fish. The channels will move into the quietest area. It may mean a long(ish??) cast, but it will pay dividends in the end. Good luck.