i need help

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishmonster13, Aug 23, 2009.

1. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    need help figuring out what I'm doing wrong any advice ,etc... would be helpful. I'm new to catfishing i just started this year and can't seem to really catch any ,I've been out at least a dozen time and have only cuaght three so far. as for bait i've been using mainly cut shad on 8/0 circle hooks. i mainly fish in between downtown cincy and down past anderson ferry. just starting to get frustrated so any help would be greatly appreciated .

matt

2. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Are you fishing during the night or day? Are you fishing good structure (seams between dam gates,wing dams,along lock walls, log piles, outside river bends any deep river holes or drop offs,ledges, etc.) those are the places you will find the big ones if you are fishing on a big river like the Ohio. :big_smile: Phil

3. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    I've fished outside ,inside,deep holes, creek heads, manmade structure, downed trees, no dams they're all a little far from me

4. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Alot of fish are going to be moving up into the tail waters soon to fatten up for winter it would be worth your while to make a special trip to a lock somewhere on your favorite river. The night time would be the best time. :big_smile:

5. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i would say you seem to be hitting all the right spots,i dont know why you are not getting any.are you getting any bites at all?i dont know your river but do you have any wing dikes?if so fish them they produce fish,fish down side just on current edge.i hope you dont get to discouraged to quit,catfishing is one of the best sports in my opinion.good luck

6. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    Matt this may sound odd or right on, try fishing far up stream from cin city. large urban areas and cats dont seem to mix. I fished in the Austin TX area for about a year and never caught any thing. I started to ask people for advice. Some how I manage to weave catfishing into conversations alot you would be surprised to find out who likes to fish for cats. When you do meet some one that is into catfishing grill em! Most people dont mind giving info on time bait and some spots to get you started. thats what I did I just started catfishing this year also. I managed to go from 0 per trip in may to catching 20 in 1 night 3 weeks ago. come to texas and I'll take you out and I can almost guaranty we'll catch some fish. Good luck bro don't give up your way ahead of the learning curve. Whoops got side tracked. I have caught 1 cat in Austin I've seen em swim by in front of me maybe they have figured out that the snack with the sting tied to it is a bad thing. Good luck. P.S. dont drink and post :roll_eyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  7. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    With the circle hooks it helps to use monofilament. If you aren't already, try drifting. Fish late into the night. Also, try fishing up in the creeks/rivers off the main river on the upside of downed trees, lots of channel cats will sit in there. Make sure that you are using freshly cut shad, not frozen. Good luck!

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You didn't mention it but remember not to try a hook set using circles. Stay safe and hope you stick a pig!!!:wink:

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the same areas more or less with good success. I would suggest trying drift fishing until you can lock on to some good spots.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hey mat don't feel too alone I've been on a two week skunk so far now. I believe the ripples or back wash may be a good place for the cats to start fattening up soon tho.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27::0a27:

12. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Matt not trying sound like a pro, I will just tell you what I do, first off lose the circle hooks, secondly do like somebody already said fish the structures, an the damns, an most important find a pond catch some live blue gills, 8 to a 10 size hook enough lead to hold em on the bottom, try to keep em wiggling. Sit back watch them rods cause them big catfish can make a rod an reel disappear. Me an my fishing buddy catch a bunch of big ole catfish like this. good luck an dont quit trying

13. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i may try some drifting next weekend , and i'm going to put some more bait in the water . thanks for all the advice

14. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    I fish the same areas as you do as well as a lot of my friends do. There are a lot of fish in the area, just hard to find them. I can usually catch fish, but my problem is finding big fish. I catch them in the 5-10 pound range pretty often, but nothing bigger than that.

I use 8/0 circle hooks and they work fine, so you are good there and I use fresh cut shad 90% of the time, so you are good there. I also catch most of my fish during the day and not at night.

I am starting to drift to try and find some more fish. I will try and hook up with you sometime and see if I cant get you on some fish...might not be big ones but at least fish.

15. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    anytime

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good luck Matt. I dont know anything about your area.

17. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Live bait, live bait and live bait. With cut bait you are limited a bit, there are plenty of flathead you are passing up and blues eat live bait too.:wink:

18. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i have tried both cut and live, i figure if i keep at it i will eventually figure it out

19. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I agree, get rid of the circle hooks first and foremost. The river is a big place, its gonna take some time to get some fish under your belt. Hang in there

20. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    well tonight I ha e had 2 in the boat i'll give a full report in the morning . I have been having a problem catching shad latlely I usally go up in mill creek and catch them but they have been few and far between did catch a little strpper in the net only realized after he was in the well that it wasn't a shad