i need help with my bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by richmondherperman, Oct 2, 2008.

1. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Ok first i will be keeping gizzerd shad,thead fin shad, and skipjack.I live in va will i need some sort of cooler if not i know about those things they sell at farm supply for $75 i can get on craigslist will that do the job if not what about a oud frige.And how many per gallon 1 inch per gallon and what size should i get i have 2 50 gal filters and a 75 gal canister filter.And do i need a over sized power head.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First off skips will be almost impossible to keep for any period of time. I have never tried to keep them in a home bait tank. I did mamage to keep a couple over night in a 30 gal onboard tank, but the temps were cool. Shad can be kept for a while as long there is water movement, oxygen, and a filter that will remove the ammonia. The water will also have to be kept cool. Some stock salt or non iodized salt will help the slime coat and stress. Cup to a cup and half to 30 gals of water. The store bought shad saver additive will work but is expensive. You will also have to make frequent water changes with non chlorinated water. I could keep 12 to 18 six to eight inch shad for a couple of weeks with minimal loss in a 75 gal stock tank. Check the library for more info and ideas.

3. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    O hahahahaha the funny thing is i have bin keeping wild fish from va all my life i am thinking 500 to 700 gal + the filters i have are just the start i just know on some things like this i would go for you cuz you would know how to keep a ton and i have never kept shad.And don't go to pet shops haha.

I will just do it and see i think i will get 2 500 gal tanks and a filter tank also ever think of using power heads to move the water.

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    you can get these big enough for a pond[​IMG]they did have these with a 3/4 hp motor for ponds call the phone no see if they still do