I need help with braided fishing line.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by dylan543, Jul 8, 2007.

1. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Okay guys i went to the store the other day and looked at some spider wire stealth i am usually fishing at the dam.So i got some spider wire stealth 50 pound and it looked like it was going to work good.:confused2: But it didn't i tied a good not on my 33t.started reeling it in so i popped on a sinker and casted out to see how good it work and it wouldn't Cast i am only 12 so help me here.Now i have 30 lb stren line and it works but would like the spider wire to work.And give me help on rigs guys and catching some nice size flats like 20 pound please help me thanks so much :big_smile:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    # 1::"it wouldn't cast" can mean a lot of things.Can you be more descriptive? Over 2 years ago I spooled 2 Zebco 33 spin cast reels with 17 lb.Spider wire for my son and grandson.It was the "thing" to have on your reel at the time and my grandson appeared to be going to die if he did not get it on his reel in a hurry.Like any decent grandpa,I had to save his life at all cost.It did bring about a miraculous recovery from his moping around and having to hide from the world because he did not have "SPider wire".Spider wire is a great cure for a dieing 14 year old.I think they found it best for cutting lily pads and fingers.They are now back to the 10 lb.mono.that comes on the 33's.Many love it and hate it for various reasons.I have installed some 30 lb.braid on some reels that may be used in saltwater to help float the line over shell and the fact that you are far more likely to need the x-tra line on the reel in saltwater fishing.To hook up with fish that can swim well over 30 miles per hour is not uncommon.I have also installed heavier braid for saltwater bottom fishing for a few as I am set up to fill spools with line.I personally use heavy mono to 80 lb for all my heavy needs,including leaders.Zebco told me that you can use braid on their reels,but it would damage your pickup pins and spinner head.Give us the details and someone will try to help.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sorry but what i have is a zebco 33t and it is not a spin cast or open.But i think i will be alright with out the spider wire but right now i have stren 30lb test on it.But could u guys give me tips on catching 20 pound and up flat heads or channels at a dam.
    :big_smile:

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Your reel is a trigerspin.It is very much like the regular Zebco 33 inside.It just releases with a trigger instead of a button.I have had and maintained both reels for years.AS for catching big cats,look around on the other threads.At 62 I have never fished for flatheads as we only have Channels,Blues,White and Bullhead catfish where I live.Sorry.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    No Idea here....sorry. I do use the 50# "Steath" on Surf Spin n have notta for problems.

:cool2:

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I would'nt use any braid on a spincaster . If you prefer these types of reels there are some models that are designed to use heavier mono like the 733 , 808 or the 888 just to name a few i believe the 888 holds the heavier at 25 lb. test but none of these heavier models are trigger spin which would mean purchasing a casting rod i would recommend the ugly stick catfish rods for around thirty bucks if that is possible and from there go get the big one good luck brother and welcome aboard .

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Put it on a spinning reel.You can cast further with a spinner.:0a26:

8. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    what kind of pole are you usingfor your 33t ? i have been using spiderwire stealth for 3 yrs and have no complaints. the rigs i use are 9' berkley glowsticks matched up with shimano symetere 4000fd's spinning reels. spiderwire is some pretty stout stuff and very stiff when new and it is also flat vs. round so it grabs the spool different. if you are having spooling problems attach about 4ft of mono to the spool first , then tie the mono to the braid using the correct knot.this will prevent slipping on the spool.if you are having problems casting, get a different reel, the ceramic pickup pins wont last. also if your pole doesnt have large eye holes it makes more difficult to cast. hope this helps

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    to get spiderwire to work good on a closed face reel you need lube like reel magic:wink:true story

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    KSCathunter speaks the truth:big_smile: My old man was fighting spiderwire on his 33s. It's flat so it digs in on line left on the spool. It also seems to be kind of "gummy" since it's a fused line instead of a true braid, which also makes it tough to use on a closed face reel. I'd recommend going with a regular braid, not a fused braid. Good Luck!

Branden

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    With the problems you discribe, I would say you spooled the line to loose and it jammed on you...Braid will "settle/slip" down inside itself and bind if it's too loose on the spool....Just my opinion....Dwight

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thank you all.I have learned a lot on this thread through your many post.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee