I need help with a touchy issue!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by IrishO'Brady, Sep 16, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Hi guys I know this sounds kind of dum but Im dealing with an issue in my fishing I don't know how to approach. I fish with one of my very good buddies who has been a friend of mine for years. He is very overweight and when he sits in the back of the boat, my trolling motor practically comes out of the water- giving it a loss of a lot of power and making it very noisy. He is terrible with reading the depthfinder/steering the troll so I sit up front on my boat. Its a 17' ft. bass boat. I wish he could learn to sit up front at least sometimes, but I don't want to hurt his feelings. So I was thinking maybe if I wrapped two or three 50lb weights and tried to keep them in the nose of the boat if this would help, or if it would just create a problem when we are both in the middle traveling 40-50 mph with the gas motor. I can't afford a new trolling motor with a longer shaft or a transom mount trolling motor, though I know one of those might solve the problem. So if you guys can think of anything PLEASE let me know

Thankyou -
    Chris

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I think it is best just to tell him,because i too am very over weight and i dont think its nice to be hiding it from him its making you uncomforatable and u dont need that kind of pressure while fishing so just tell him whats going on and he will understand.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I don't like the idea of adding weight to "balance" the boat. I would simply explain the situation to him and help him out so he can navigate in the front of the boat. Since he is your friend, he should be understanding.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

I agree, but technically Im not hiding anything, he knows thr trolling motor chops water when hes in the back, I think he doesn't need me to point that out to him. I just don't even wan't to say anything nicely, I'd still feel like a jerk.He isnt too open to trying to learn it, I think maybe he is just scared he will crash the boat into something, or somethin like that , I dunno...

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Forward and to the point is the route to go. If he don't get it than he may not be the friend you think he is.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Mount the battery and gas tank in the front also!!

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    hmm the batteries alone might make a sizeable difference.. Im just concerned with the safety issue of having added weight in the nose of the boat when moving at high speeds

8. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Solution to your problem is to eat a huge bowl of ice cream every nite before bed for the nxt year or so, the problem isn't that he's too heavy, your just too darn skinny LOL!

Seriously... tell him directly. Your not telling him anything he doesn't ALREADY know, your just telling him that it's time to solve the problem.

9. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I too am a man of sizable proportions so your best bet would be to tell him he has to learn how to control the boat from the front or he will be bank fishing from now on . You know its not that hard to operate the trolling motor and he is mentally challenged he should have know problem with it but be up front about it dont beat around the bush that always ticked me off

10. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    yeah I agree. I'll tell him he shouldnt be so concerned about damaging the boat (he is clumsy but not stupid) and at least 1/3 trips he needs to operate the front end.Like I said I wasn't hiding anything or any of that, he knows the problem... hes just a sensitive dude, and Im not so I have to be careful how I word things. You guys have given me some ideas, moreso on being forthright- so anymore suggestions to try? Maybe I can find a humorous way to present it lol Im better with humor than I am anything else

11. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    The truth is the best way and to tell the truth to someone who can be hurt by the truth is hard but can be done. I would say to him, "Hey, why don't you and I learn more about this trollin moter and sonar equiptment together? That way, we can split up the driving and work evenly." Maybe something along those lines may work for you. Let us know how it goes Brother.

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Brother I am 400 pounds of fisherman and I would agree with the others and just tell him. Are ask him to sit in the middle of the boat to fish. My entire family is large, I am the smallest and it took some effort to level out the boat when me and my brothers were all in it.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Tell your buddy you are tired of running the trolling motor all the time and you want a break. If you can get him to do it make mention of how much you like the back of the boat and also how much better the trolling motor works with the boat leveled out. If you can do it this way you don't even have to mention his weight.
    Oh and by the way, we fat guys know we are fat guys.:big_smile:

st

14. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Just tell him, tell him it's ok to hit a small twig with the boat, tell him things can be fixed. Don't let it become such a problem where you guys don't like fishing with each other.

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Brother ,everyone On Here Has Some Very Good Advice For You But It's Up To You To Just Let Him Know How You Feel.good Luck

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    True Friends should be honest with each otherYour problem is not saying any thing but how without hurting hi feelings I would say something like Joe I got A problem you could help me out with God bless you both true Frinds are hard to Find:big_smile_2:

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    it could be worse lol my brother vlparrish said in chat one night that im so big that when im in his boat he has to put extra weight in the back to keep his main moter in the water , now thats mean . lmao

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    question for ya, how long is the shaft on your trolling motor, and what is the thrust on it? Maybe a brother could trade out with ya.

Heck, I've got a 41 lb bow mount that I might be able to trade with ya.

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I believe in complete and total honesty.I too am overweight and it bothers me a great deal. I think if I had someone who would help to motivate me maybe I could lose the extra baggage.Seriously try the approach of his health and you are concerned.If you can maybe see if you can go to the gym and lift weights together or walk a few laps. This way not only are you honest but a true friend really cares about one another.So I think that is the approach I would take.Just my opinion-----------pk powell:big_smile:

20. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa

I'm with george on this one, not because i'm a all out forward kinda guy but your buddy knows he's a big dude and by golly it's your boat. That makes you the capt. and if it works better with him in front get him up there.