I need help/troubleshooting on my dryer.It up and died on me. :(

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catfishjohn, Dec 15, 2006.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a Frigidaire dryer,its fairly old(approx.10yrs) and have never had a problem one with it until tonight.Regina got a load of clothes out of it(was doing perfect) and threw another load in it.When she went to push the button to start it,nothing happened.I checked the breaker,tested to see if it was getting power to the dryer and all was good.I also made sure it was making full contact when it shuts.It just won't kick on no matter what I do.
    Anybody have any idea what or how to maybe fix it? I can't afford a repairman or a new dryer so I need to get this one fixed if I can.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You in advance!!!

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    ours quit last week so i took the panel off the back unplug first and cleaned the lint from the motor and all working parts then shook the tumbler to make sure it would move freely it works fine now

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    1ST UNPLUG DRYER

Dryers can bite ya pretty good, Make sure its unplugged the whole time Your poking around in there.

Did I mentoin unplug it?

remove the back and then look for any burnt up wire connections first.

A lot of the time a burnt wire is the culprit in a non working dryer, all that heat is hell on wire insulation.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the tips from both of you.I'll get someone to come over tomorrow and move the dryer out in the hall and i'll take a look.I wish I could move it out by myself but...bad backs and necks are pure he!!
    BTW Brad,that PM ya sent me was blank.Maybe try again.Did you say you had to unplug it? LMAO!!!

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The door has a single contact switch built in for safety. If you are lucky sometimes they go bad and will leave an open circut. The switch has two control wire in a loop circut through the contacts. Use an OHM meter or continuity tester to see if it operates open/close. If your lucky the switch has failed & its a cheap repair. Test while unpowered.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Mornin' John, There is a superheat limit "switch" that is within the power up curcuit. It is usually located behind the drum, up high.

It is a normally closed switch, so if you want to test it, just run a jumper wire across the 2 terminals, while it's unplugged. Plug it back in & try it again.

They fail quite often, BTDT:eek:oooh:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've tested the on/off switch-power.I can't get the back off though.I took all the screws out but I can't get the back off.I think it may be the door switch but can't get to it to test it. :confused2: If it wasn't for bad luck,i'd have none.This couldn't have happened at a worst time. :sad2:

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    After you take out the screws, there are usually some clips that can be very stiff, that you'll need to pull up against.

I know you probably already thought of it but did you attempt to get an exploded diagram via the internet ? J.A.T.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No,I didn't.I have the diagram on the back of the top control panel.
    I can't even locate a model# anywhere on it.I called a local shop and they told me everywhere to look but no #. I'm getting frustrated!!!

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ok,Regina's uncle came over and looked at it.I tested the door switch and no power to it at all.Do you all think it could just be it or something else causing power to be interrupted to it? Also when I put juice to the dryer,it smelled hot and the back was hot.
    Sorry for all the questions but i'm broke and can't afford a repairman.
    Thanks for all tips and ideas so far.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    might be time to put up a clothes line:tounge_out:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I got the problem temporarily fixed.Its the door switch.For now,until Monday,I used black tape and bypassed the switch.Its working fine now.I appreciate all the tips and ideas.

Bootshowl,ya nailed that one.I'll find out Monday how much it'll set me back.Its a 30 second repair now,hope its not big money for a 17 year old dryer door switch.

CCCRRrrAAAaaPPppp!!! I just went in and checked,its not heating up now.It was heating fine before.I tell you if its not one thing its 12 thousand!!!

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I just got the parts in today,the door switch was bad and the heating element was fried.I just got done putting it back together and now it won't start up! I've checked to make sure all is plugged in and all is ok.Its getting juice to the dryer,all the way to the switch.Its probably something simple but its kicking my butt!!! I ohm tested the thermostat thing on the heating element pan and its good.The only thing I'm not getting anything on is the on/off button.I've ohm tested it with it pushed and not and nothing either time.
    Any ideas folks???

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Try jumpering across the on/off switch. As long as there only 2 terminals there won't be any problems but if there are multiple terminals you will have to look on the side of the swtch to determine how the curcuit is to be completed.

Somewhere on the dryer, usually in the back will be a wiring diagram that is adhered to it in some way. Due to the fact that the heating element was fried, a major amperage draw, there may be some type of inline curcuit breaker (fuse) etc that is bad...JAT

Have a very Merry Christmas:wink:

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its all fixed now.When I took the top off,there were 2 wires that had came unplugged,1 was in the wrong spot.:confused2: Now,time to get caught up on lots of laundry!
    Thanks for the help and have a very Merry Christmas also!!! :smile2:

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Good Deal !!!!!!!!!!........Now enjoy the holidays :big_smile:

17. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The BOC will be starting a new section on the board all about Dryer's , CatfishJohn is going to run it, since his bad week he has now become a pro at working on dryer's and is willing to share some of his secrets with us on how to fix them. He sent the follow information to me this afternoon and would like me to post it for the membership..

Thanks
    John

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CatwishJohn says:

Clean out the dryer vent and vacuum out the interior of the dryer behind the access panel
    By the experts at CatwishJohns Handyman
    From The CatwishJohns Pink Tutu Handyman, December 2006

Every year, nearly 500,000 dryer fires cause millions of dollars in damage and hundreds of injuries, some fatal. Dryer fires start when built-up lint near the motor, gas burners or heating elements catches on fire. This fire can then spread to ignite lint in the vent pipe. And ruin a entire day of fishing out in the pay pond.

The best precautions are to empty the lint trap after every load, vacuum Catfish hair behind the machine regularly, keep flammables away from the dryer, and annually clean lint from inside the dryer cabinet and vent duct.

CatwishJohn show's how to “de-lint” or "De-Cat" a gas dryer with a front access panel. Electric dryers have a heating element instead of a gas burner. If you have an electric dryer, or your dryer differs from the one shown, consult your manual for instructions on accessing the heating element or cabinet interior.

The most important step in cleaning the Catwish dryer is to remove any hairball buildup around the motor and gas burner or heating element. Then clean out the vent duct with a 25-in. dryer vent cleaning brush ($100 to $400 at an appliance repair store, or via the Internet at [B]www.johnripsyouoff.com[/B].

If your dryer has a plastic vent ducting, replace it with a wooden one. The plastic ducting itself can catch on fire and set the house ablaze.

1. Unplug the machine and turn off the gas valve. Pry the access panel loose with a big flat-blade screw driver. Vacuum the inside of the cabinet, especially around the gas burner and motor.

If you have a brush attachment for your pay pond fishing pole, use it to loosen built-up lint.

2. Disconnect the Catfish from the dryer and push a catfish cleaning brush through the exterior vent hood. Otherwise, disassemble the vent and clean it by hand.

Yours truly
    \
    Goin to catch a big one
    Catwish John
    Ky.:cool2:

Attached Files:

18. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Where did you go John ?

19. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    glad you got it fixed john.
    i can relate to appliance problems,never fun,and usually not cheap to repair after and if you can figure out what to replace.
    hope it stays working for you.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    ROFLMAO!!! :happy: That was a good one! I'm back.Or I'll get you back...:roll_eyes: :0a37: