I need help throwing my castnet

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jerellman, Jun 25, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I just bought a new 6' castnet and the directions it came with were very complicated, does anybody have a simple way of throwing it? Thanks in advance!!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its like riding a bicycle or blowing a duck call. Hard to learn and hard to forget how once you do. Practice practice practice.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I recently got one myself, and the directions packed with it were poorly written & explained little (though it included an advertisement for a video :roll_eyes: )

I found these instructions in the library (1 of a few) but these were the instructions which helped me the most. I noticed an immediate difference in the way the net landed........lol, open.

Smitty
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Throwing A Castnet
    Original post made by Chris Harris(Gottheblues) on June 25, 2002

Explaining how to throw a cast net over the internet can be very difficult but I'll try to explain the way I do it. I throw 8-10 ft nets which have twice that in diameter.

First- With the net straightened out and in a vertical position grab the net in your dominant hand about halfway down the net.(I will use the right hand as a dominant. just switch instructions if you use your left) If you are using a very large net, you might want to grab the net a 1/4 of the way down, then again 1/2 of the way down with your right hand. This just insures that you don't have a lot of excess net hanging. Remember to grab the net with your right thumb on top. Not the other way around.

Second- while still holding the net in your right hand...reach down with your left hand at the bottom of the net and grab a weight and bring it up and place it in your right hand. Repeat this process 2 more times. Again, when you do this process don't make the mistake of letting go of the net that you did in step 1.

Third- most of the net will be in your right hand. Now we must split the net equally between both hands so it will be easier to throw. To do this you must again reach down with your left hand down at the weights. But instead of bringing it up to your right hand like step 2, you will just keep grabbing weights and net till half the net is drapped over your left hand/arm. This step will be hard at first just getting the coordination of doing this but it gets easier over time.

Fourth- now you are ready to throw the net. You should have an equal portion of the net in both hands. Your left hand should be the pivet hand. It should not move but just rotate. You should swing the net back behind you with the right hand only. Now swing the net back in from of you across your body and let go of the net in your right hand only. One key here is to rotate your right hand over when letting go of the net. You should let the momemtum pull the net out of your left hand....don't just let go.

These instructions might be hard without seeing it in person but I would be happy to video it if anyone would want to see it done. Once you master this way, it should only take you about five seconds to get the net ready to throw each time. It is very fast and effective for the bigger and heavier nets.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Jerell, There is a guy on this board who is a master at castnets. I wish I could remember his name, hummmm

Oh yea, he goes by the name H20 Mellon

Look him up here and send him a PM!!

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    too bad theres not a easy way to retrieve a snagged net. I had to take a dive this weekend to rescue mine. got snagged on a log in 10' of water. it felt good to beat the heat for a little bit but its not something id always like to do.

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Now that's dedication............among other things.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The very best way to learn to throw a casting net is to go with someone who really knows how to do it and watch them and then give it a try and they can tell you what you are doing wrong.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Throwing a cast net successfully is not easy. It takes a lot of practice in the driveway or yard, all while looking like an idiot for your neighbors.

Like Abu65 said, it is hard to learn and hard to forget.

I am still on the hard to learn part.

I catch bait, but when compared to others I have watched I realize I need to look like an idiot for the neighbors a little longer.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A video is available from most manufacturers. I use a calusa net, among others, and they have a video on their website that may be helpful: http://www.calusa.com/howtothrow.cfm

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I went catfishing with a fella named Jackie Kennedy (lots of you folks probably know him) and he taught me how to throw one. Once you get the hang of it, it ain't too terribly difficult. One thing I've noticed, the taller you are, the easier it seems to be. I'm a short turd and it's been pretty difficult for me to throw a very big net. But I've got it down now.

Here's a really good website with 2 videos showing 2 different methods. Very easy to follow directions for throwing a net. http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

One other thing: go out in the yard and practice. If you're gonna be throwing a net from the bank, then just stand in the yard & practice. If you're gonna be catching bait from a boat, then stand on your tailgate & practice to simulate being above the water. Good luck!!!