I need help picking 2 Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ramon06, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ok guys/gals Im in the market for 2 new rods and I need some suggestions. Let me give you guys/gals some brief info and my plan so you can give me the best options. Off the bat my price range is $40 each, yes I can afford a $500 rod but it aint happening im too cheap and I'm tired of spending $50+ for rods. I am finally purchasing a boat next month (if the deal sticks) My set up will be for 12 rods. It will be a 19' deck boat with two racks (one on each side in the back). Each rack holding 3 rod/reel set-ups for ease and access to the engine. The front of the boat will have 2 holders on the front rails, 2 holders on the front side rails and the last 2 holders on the side rails behind the doors. Now the back is spoken for: 2 James River Heavy 8ft Customs with 2 Penn 309s on the outside holders. 2 heavy 7'10" Quantum Big Cats with 2 Okuma 450Ls in the middle and 2 7' M/H Tigers with 2 Penn 320GT2s on the outside (all rods/reels bought already). The 2 front rail holders I have 2 Shakespere Asenal 20s with no rods... hint hint. The 2 front side rails will have a Abu 7000 and a Ming Yang CL70 both will be on 7'6" M/H TWC rods when I order this week, and the side rails will have an Abu 6500 and a Ming Yang CL60 both on M/H 8' Berkley Glow stiks. Now can I get a good, strong recommendation for 2 rods under $40 each in M/H or Heavy that will pull in 50+# cats and last or am I dreaming? I know some of you guys have them already, if you dont wanna share your rods with the world PM me and you have my word I will not post on the site. Oh by the way the rod must be 7'6" to 8' will not have a longer rod on the boat than 8' and I dont like anything in the 7' range unless its a M/H Tiger or a Sturdy Stik but then again I dont know of any good ones in that size either. Shoot away Gents & Ladies

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ramon, the BEST bang for the buck is the 7'6" American Spirit Pro Nite Stick. I think the BOC insider group has the $29 special. These rods have backbone, and fish well from a drift or an anchor. I bought ten of them and like them very well.

Bill in SC

3. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Bill "You the Man again" :smile2: I forgot about those rods, havent used them but hear nothing but good things about them. This may be my next purchase

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They have NINE STURDY eyes, plus the tip, and cork handles. IF you get them, go to eBay and buy some U-40 cork sealer for about $4.

Bill in SC

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    The Ugly Stick catfish rods(white) are $29-$32 ea. -mine has handled up to 50 lb. flatheads. Also, Eagle Claw Water Eagles are excellent for the price(yellow w/ cork handles).They are $16 each,you can't go wrong at that price. My dad has had his same Water Eagles as long as I remember.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Those Nite Sticks are the POO!! I love 'em. Bill certainly ain't steering ya wrong man. I fish tidal rivers too and they work just fine for us.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Nite Stick Pro's are great rods. Hard to beat them in the $40 range, unless you can find some higher dollar rods on clearance.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Man,that sounds like one sweet fish catching machine you,re setting up there Ramon!:cool2:

9. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    listen to bill he knows what hes talking about if you catch big fish on a reg. basis with them ugly sticks they will break in half they are good for striper fishing.

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I've used Ugly Sticks for years,never seen one broken on a fish.If it would happen to break,send it back, get a new one.I personally don't like the large diameter heavy rods.

11. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well there is always the Whuppin Sticks at Cabella's, they have spinning, baitcater, and boat models, they run $30. I just Got 2-9' MH Sticks at the Cabella's ID store last weekend for bank fishin the Columbia & Snake & put Okuma Avenger 55's on both. GL finding what will fit for you.

12. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I had 3 of them rods all broke at the same place. figured out they don't work for me. you can send them back but why don't you just buy the right one the first time. only my opinion. If they work for you thats great just don't let it break when you have your Pb on.:wink:

13. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I also would recommend the American Spirit Nite Stik or Nite Stik Pro. They ain't let me down yet. I've caught 40 pound cats and 60 lb spoonbill on these rods and they felt like they could handle more. I've used Ugly Stik and recently I broke my last 8 foot Ugly in half on the hook set. I also like the Eagle Claw Water Eagles but the 8 footers probably would not be ideal for 50 pound cats. The 9 footer is a heavier action and I really like it but as you said, you don't want any over 8 foot. I think you should give the Nite Stiks a try.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i havent fished the shorty, but i have fished with a longer model a buddy owns a few times and i really liked them. i think you will have a good rod for the money on your hands if you pick a few of them up. in the $40 range you can almost get 3 and stay with in your $80 range. i know that im most rods the shipping is the high part so the more you ship at once better off you are in the end.

as for a $500 rod, i will be the first to say that when catfishing they are far from needed. the sensitivity and bite detection that a high dollar rod is designed to give you is not something that is need in catfishing. at least not in my opinion. now if you were fishing bass tournies or walleye or muskie fishing, an expensive rod is much more understandable. however, i will very seldom even look at a rod over $100 even for those thing and i am like you its not that it will break my wallet up, but i dont think it is worth it. im not a pro so i dont need the pro gear.

15. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Just got back from Gander Mountain and got 3 American Spirit Nite Sticks (The red, black and white-not the Pro) for $83.97 with Tax. They're not the Pro's but still a good deal for some nice rod's in my Opinion. Just mounted the Arsenal's to 2 and about to add the rig. Gonna keep one of them for back up or put my Ming CL70 on it.

16. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Pat i'm hoping everything works out. I have very big plans for this boat but everytime I'm supposed to purchase a boat something goes wrong. My fingers are crossed with this one.

17. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Tigers breaking? Are you guys using the White Tiger Rods? If so I can understand, you guys need to try the 7' Orange, red and black ones, I just cant see anything under 100LBs breaking that Rod if you're not horsing it. They are heavy duty beasts. They also have the equally strong Big Water Version in Black and gold. I only use the white tigers for eater Channel Cats

18. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    We talkin about your channel cat rods that's what I was saying there lite duty

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Man Ramon,after I saw all the new gear you,re stocking up on,you might have to find yourself like a 24 ft pontoon to fit it all on! I hope your boat comes through for ya!:wink:.If it don,t,your gonna need 100 yds of bank to set all your gear out.:smile2:.

20. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I always forget how much stuff I have until I open that storage closet and I keep laughing cause my girl only knows I have 25 set ups in there and doesnt know im close to 40 now :smile2: The guy im getting the boat from has a 24ft Deck boat but it has too much furniture on it. The 19fter has all the stuff removed, has an open floor minus the driver seat behind the console and a passenger seat, I will be adding 2 seats up from for a couple buddies, then all I have to do is add a rod locker, bait tank, livewell and a cooler for food/drinks. see Pat you got me dreaming, this deal better come thru or im coming to look for you :smile2: