I need help! outdoorsmen, aviaries, excorsists, etc...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by loanwizard, Jun 15, 2006.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My wife lost her father when he was a young 53 years old. He was a life long Cardinals fan and the family has always said that whenever a cardinal is nearby it is her dad talking to her from the other side. We have noticed cardinals a very coincidental times too, for instance the day we miscarried, I had to leave her because I had gotten a call that my pontoon was sinking, and on the way back I hit and killed a cardinal with the truck on an interstate. Weird,but it has always been a half joke.

Well, yesterday we were going to a Cardinals, Pirates game and 2 days ago we had a cardinal start flying into our french doors. The next morning he did it and upon inspection I noticed that he has left hundreds of beak marks on the glass. I closed the screen door and he went to the other side. I called my mother in law and she is fine and the family is fine but she was worried about us traveling yesterday. We made it home safely last night (Cards lost) This morning the dang bird was back at it. I thought maybe it was seeing it's reflection and was trying to fend off other males, but the reflection from his angle (yes i got my eyes down to where his would be) is the sky. So, I put little pieces of electrical tape up there to try to give him prospective. When I left this morning he was flying against the glass trying to pull the tape off! What's up with this bird? Any help appreciated and yes this is a true happening going on as we speak.

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Shawn, I have had the exact same thing for the past two summers! Female cardinal, beak first into the same window in 3 second intervals. We have just tuned it out at this point. I leave the window dirty, clean it, put up cardboard, nothing matters, she just keeps attacking. I don't know what to tell you, except maybe get a fake bird to put nearby. Good luck.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I tried a fake cardinal (we are Cards fans) to no avail.

4. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Hey shawn.
    The wife and I were at the zoo in Chicago last week and saw what may be a solution for you. They had signs explaining why most of the glass windows were all cloudy looking. It said that at this time of the year birds have a tendancy to run into the windows. So what they did was to soap the windows. I'm not sure how they did it, but it was a pretty heavy film of soap that can later be washed off.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    1 dry window.
    1 bar of Ivory soap.
    Rub vigorously.

Should be fine by the 4th of July. My Mother loves Cardinals (esp. Albert Pujols LOL) started soaping her back window about 6 years ago. Its become a yearly Memorial Day tradition.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Well so much for my reasoning. I kinda figured he knew where the air conditioner was. :0a10: