I need help on catching fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by keithbc, Jun 4, 2009.

1. keithbc

keithbc New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I went catfishing this evening and am having some problems. I'm new so I don't really know what I'm doing.

I'm was using 2 rods one with a 3/0 double action circle hook and a 5/0 of the same. Using chicken liver for baits...
    I also used bells on the rods.

My question is at what point do I need to get the rod and reel in? The bells kept going off alot and the tips would bounce around but when I would get it and reel in there was nothing.
    Also I was using some putting a pretty good size of liver on the hook.. Maybe the size of a 50 cent coin, so alot would end up hanging off.

How much bait should I put on there? Also at what point do I get the rods other than the obvious big bowing of the rod?

Thanks alot

2. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    One thing i have noticed with circle hooks ( not my thing but i have used them) is when your getting a lot of short bites. Start by reeling in slow until you feel the weight of the sinkers or fish on the line. Instead of setting it increase the reeling speed and don't stop. This has worked for me but may not for you. There are some guys on here that will be along to help a little more.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds like turtles pecking on ya ; )

I use regular circles and I do as you mentioned...let the rod slap over, then pick up the rod. Smaller channels could be pecking at the liver but even small cats have the capabilities to bend a rod decently.

Have you tried cut bait yet ? It will stay on the hook better if it will work for you.

-Jim-

4. keithbc

keithbc New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I noticed I kept pulling up alot of empty hooks. So it appears something was stealing the bait. Unless the liver were just coming off very easy

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Try to find some turkey livers its a lot tougher.You can catch several fish on one piece sometimes.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME to the BOC Keith!I,m not a big fan of circles.I,d try some regular J hooks and hold my rod in my hands.Try varying the time of my hookset from 0 to 5 seconds and see what,s working.If your still having trouble with the little ones stealing your bait,you may want to try livebait or put your livers in some mesh netting first.:big_smile:

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    try tying pantyhose around the liver like a little bag. Twist ties around the top tie it good.

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I've fished with liver alot in the past and I've learned a few tricks. First never use liver that has been frozen. It will be mushy and hard to keep on a hook. Always ues FRESH. Keep it on ice and use a sharp knife to cut it. This will help the liver stay on the hook beter. As far as hooks try a bait holder style hook. They will also keep the liver on better. Now I never use BELLS. Tend your rod. I've seen to many rods go swimming and the bells never make a sound:crazy:. If you tend your rods you can usually get a quick hook set. And one last thing Bluegill LOVE liver. They will pick you clean. Hope this helps some.:wink:

John

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

WELCOME yo the BOC John!:big_smile:

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. I would use cut bait or shrimp. Good luck.

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    IF YOU R GONNA USE CHICKEN LIVERS THE BEST WAY IS TO GET SOME PANTY HOSE AND PUT SOME LIVER IN IT THEN TIE A KNOT AND REPEAT IT UNTIL YOU HAVE ENOUGH.THEY WIL LOOK LIKE LITTLE SAUSAGES AND THEY WILL STAY ON THE HOOK VERY WELL.

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree with all that has been posted. You are getting some great info.
    I think I would try some large night crawlers too. If you are fishing for
    channels you might want to step your hook down a size or two.

13. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    When I have fished livers, I was really frustrated at all those little pecks---turned out for me it was panfish.

If you are going to use livers, the suggestions here are already good. The only thing I would add to it would be that instead of pantyhose, you can get them to hold on better by also using a piece of thread or light line. Just bait the hook and wrap the line around the liver about 8 or 10 times, pretty tight.

Personally, I have moved on from livers and now use cut panfish, trout, or bass. No pecking from the panfish and the cats seem to hit it pretty well. I use circles, from 3/0-5/0 and the rod just bends over and the fish is on pretty much 90% of the time.

Whatever you choose---good luck to ya'

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I wrap my chicken livers with panty hose & a small rubber band, keeps the bait on the hook real good