I need help Hunting Deer.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LarryS, Oct 17, 2006.

1. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    Why is it everytime i go Hunting, i will not see a Deer at all? When the season is closed they are everywhere?:embarassed:

Attached Files:

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Larry, that is just the way it is! I see them constantly, when i am not in the woods. In Fact, I worked last Saturday for a half a day. While we was sitting at the Break table on break, at about 9:15 A.M,a 4 point ran thru the parking lot and stopped to look at us before crossing the Railroad Tracks in the middle of town!!! Talk about a tease! It's like he was saying " Ha Ha , I am here and ya"ll are working, Can't get me".

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's been my experience that most hunters hunt in the wrong places. Take my old hunting partner for instance. He always hunted where he saw the most tracks and places where he could see for a long ways in every direction. It took him 20 years to get his first deer with a bow, (a fawn doe), while every year he helped me drag deer after deer out of the woods. I never could get him to understand that the most tracks and sign were put down at night, not during the day. I hunt the thickest place I can find on any piece of property because that is where the deer stay during the day. Usually my range of vision is 20-30 yards if that and the deer are usually real close before I ever see them. I've taken my limit with a bow every year for the last 27 years like that including several Pope & Young deer. Here's another good "trick"; spend a few hours just walking around the woods, not sneaking...walking, until you jump some deer. Deer are creatures of habit and, unless their food source changes or the leaves all fall, or some other natural factor in their habitat changes, they will usually be within 100 yards of the same place at the same time the next day. Good luck!!

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Great point, Willie. It takes a little knowledge of how deer act and what they like. During 99% of the year, deer like dense cover because they feel safe there.

I'm one of the unfortunate folks who didn't actually have anybody to teach me to hunt deer. I had to learn everything by doing the wrong thing and reading. I never knew that deer primarily bedded down during the day. I also didn't know just how active they really were during the night. They were leaving sign all over the place and I always ended up setting up on the wrong sign.... the sign they made at night. How do you tell the difference? Well, it's just one of those things that you'll have to learn to look for.

I've also learned a WHOLE lot about stand placement and how much it affects your success. Lots of folks dont' know how to hang a stand in a good spot, and they can be off by as little as 5 yards & totally blow their chances. Here in SW Oklahoma, our primary wind direction is nearly always out of the south, and sometimes from the north. So if you can set up on a good travel route where the deer are moving east & west, you've got a fantastic shot at a deer. If you aren't seeing much deer activity, then get off your duff and move your stands. The deer have probably patterned YOU and have shifted their habits accordingly. You're gonna have to make a change. The folks who make the necessary changes and put forth the extra effort (just like in everything else) are the ones who bring home the big bucks.

Oh yeah one last thing.... when all else fails, quit hunting for a day or two and scout. Put on your rubber boots & go out scouting to find where the deer are.

Good luck to ya!

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Buy a brand new car and drive up the by-pass in Valparaiso, northern Indiana at night. Chances are you will kill a deer:sad2: ...W

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Eliminating human scent is the most important in my opinion. If a deer smells you he is out of there without you even knowing it. Locating funnel areas between bedding and feeding areas are a good choice to set up an ambush. Hope this helps some and good luck.

7. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    You said it all Brother Thanks for savin me all that typin
    Marc

8. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    The County just clear cut 27 ac out buy my home but the deer still come around in the same area.
    Just relax and look at the sighns go with your gut