I need help finding a good gun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by daniel-delarosa, Nov 26, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I just got a S&W 9mm Sigma. The trigger has a loonngg travel. It seems like you are pulling forever before it shoots. My buddies Springfield 45 is totally different. I'd get one of those, but I dont like all the recoil.

2. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    if you like shooting 9mm's you should check out sig arms. the sig i carry is 20 years old and is in top notch shape its the p226 model it has a wide handle on it so it fits better in a large hand. but as much as i love my sig i have a whole other love for 1911's and that big old fat boy it shoots is one heck of a bullet.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Can't beat the trigger on a nice 1911... Once you get used to the way the pistol acts, It's quite nice. Could be the load is part of the reason of the recoil, or if It's a smaller/shorter model. Standard 1911 hard to beat.

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Another vote for the 1911 handguns. Mine is a Kimber. Those 45acp's hit like a freight train.

5. masterbaiter40

masterbaiter40 New Member

State:
    illinois, Dixon
    I like the 454 casull round. Better put you ear plugs in and hold on tight. I got a super red hawk with a 3X8.5 EER nikon scope. good 2 about 200 yards.

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Depending on what you want to spend you can get a 1911 frame in 9mm and 40 S&W. STI and others sell them. Prices for a good one run from $800 up. You may also be able to find a used 1911 and buy a barrel, mag and recoil spring and have them installed locally.
    I have never had an issue with the 45 and recoil and I shoot some pretty stiff loads including a 260gr at 875fps. I use a 200gr lead bullet over about 3.5grains of Bullseye and it recoils MUCH less than a 9mm and the brass lands on the table around you, not 10-15 feet away.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know what you mean i had a sigma in .40cal bought it when they first came out.It was the same way as yours with the trigger.they have a bad reputation for that.I just couldnt get used to and shoot accurate with it,but my dad he likes that kind of trigger pull and shot it very well so i sold it to him and bought myself a glock 26 in .40 cal or is it the 23? well which ever one is the .40 cal im tired and cant think at the moment lol.
    Also you know you can get a 1911 with a ported barrel and it will help with the recoil and allow you faster second shots,the only thing is you lose a little vilocity on the bullet but not enough to effect anything.I have a springfield 1911 in the v-10 series which has the ported barrel and i really like it.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a Sig P229 that I really like. The difference between the 1911 types and the Sigma is the difference between double action and single action. A lot of todays autos are double action and will have a long trigger pull. It takes a while to get used to, but after while it works out.

Jim

9. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know about all double actions, but on a Glock when you fire the first round and start to let off of the trigger, there is a click about a quarter of the travel distance to "idle" position. If you stop at the click, and pull the trigger from that position, it takes out much of the long trigger pull. I learned this from a firearms instructor when I qualified with a glock .40 for the first time. For years I had carried a Taurus 9 mm and only the first shot was long, even then I could manually cock the hammer for that first shot.
    I do like the 1911's as well...