i need help fast on bait tips

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jan 13, 2010.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    man im freaking out i went to get shad and lost my net on a snag, now im going on a 3 hour drive with no shad for blues in a hot ditch, is there a good alternative bait for them big blues other than cut bait, man guys im freaking out bad, its messed my whole day up to the point i cant think , im freaking out, if you can help id love the advice thanks brothrs

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    nightcrawlers??

Grocery store fish section??

I dunno.....:eek:

3. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Get yourself some baby kittens or mice...:laugh1:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Calm down there bud. Catch ya some of them buffalo everyone seems to hate and slice n dice that gentleman up. Asian carp catches big fish, i don't see why buffalo wouldn't.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    there ya go!!!

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the thing is im on a time limit to get bait, so if i cant get bait on rod and reel in one hour we are out of a 3 hour trip, and im broke, i hope the gills will bite in th hot ditch on warm they should, im going to pick up worms and try to get a net, see this place opens at 8 and closes at 4, and i got to get up at 4 am to make it their, me and kdragon are going, thanks for the tips guys, buffalow are out of the qwestion its to late, to fish for bait now , all the streams are froze here exept 1 , im in a bind , man this trip is going to be a waste i think:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They fished the James in Virginia in December for 5 days . They brought Tough fresh Beef Liver. Used it in addition to shad and caught cats up to 70 pounds. Big slabs of beef liver.!

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If a bait store locally has some eels, you could always cut them up. Freezer section or korean market for herring could work too. Gills in the hot water area could be a plus also

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Slikk,
    Take a breath and a pill will ya and slow down a bit!!!!! Think about what you have read on this board and what you know.

There are all kinds of options, big gobs of night crawlers, shrimp, squid, liver, herring from the fish market, mackerel from the fish market. if you have an Asian or Chinese market they have all kinds of stuff; at the one here I can even buy live carp.

Hope you catch a hog...W

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    im with metalman. improvise cuz. asian markets is prolly a good idea.

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    If nothing else pick up some road kill. Improvise, You'll find some thing.​

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If all else fails pick up some garlic hotdogs or some uncooked shrimp at the grocery store..

13. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I know this is late but blues will bite chicken hearts and a box of them is less than the cost of nightcrawlers.They stay on the hook alot better than liver , no prob casting them out.

14. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Those are good ideas considering the way everyone is up in arms about using DOGS for shark bait. ;)

Seriously though, find a creek and try catching perch one at a time. Local grocery store and buy some fish for bait. Huge gizzards or turkey necks.

Sorry to hear you are in a pinch. You could always go back and dive for the net. I make my 13 year old son fetch my net if I snag it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  15. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Slikk, Lots of good suggestions here. I'd rather fish for cats if I only have 3 hours, than to fish for bait. I'd grab some chicken livers. They'll work for blues, but you may catch a channel that you could use for cut bait as well.

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know for a fact frozen shrimp work, but the problem is they tend to be expensive to buy. I have even caught flatheads on frozen shrimp, I was a bit shocked when it happened. I have also heard of a lot of guys using SPAM.

17. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    LOL. I used some deer tongue and bloody neck meat. Didn't catch anything. Course the water was 15 above normal. A factor perhaps? If I find a dead kitten, I'm using it.

18. Blind In Texas

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    I have been told to keep a can of that stuff as a back-up.

19. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Next time ya get buff fish or carp scale fillet chunk in 2 inch cubes skin on pakage and freeze bro. Rule one always have back up bait and cut rough fish fill the bill. Rule 2 I take ya fishen you buy the beer and are protemo anchor BEECH lol