I need help catching Trout!

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by catman529, Dec 31, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have no trout fishing experience. The local stream was just stocked w/ rainbow trout for the winter, I think for the first time. During the summer it is too warm. I don't know where they are, when they bite, when they are in certain spots, etc. I know they like worms etc, and there is an artificial bait called the "trout magnet" that might work. I would probably use nightcrawlers though.

Help me anybody, I am a trout dummy!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've used ultra light rigs with no more than 6# test. #6 hook, small split shot about 18" above it, small piece of worm, cast upstream and let it float down. watch your line for a pick up.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Like Bobpaul said, light tackle. I've had my best luck on Rainbow Power Bait. Give it a try. Trout Magnets do work, but were a little difficult to use for me at first. Nightcrawlers, mill worms, salmon eggs, spinners and a slew of others work good too. Give the orange Panther Martin spinner a try too, it works great, but I never leave home w/o Rainbow Power Bait.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    like Mat said rainbow power bait I rig for trout just like cats a small egg sinker abuot 1/4oz smallbbl swivel leader around 18 inches and hook between #8-12 also try the slipcork method with a very small float like the size of a dime stockers arent all that wary but if there not hungry theyll give ya fits

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks everyone...
    so how much current do they prefer this time of year? There are some moderately swift areas by the rapids. The bottom consists of small and large rocks. Is this good habitat for rainbows?

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We just use spinning rigs around here. Power bait or a couple of pieces of whole kernal corn or a minature marshmallow works great too. If there is some larger ones (trout) you can use small minnows on a ultra lite rig.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    use the eddys behind large rocks and small bolders, they will wait there for ur presentation to go by. Also try some small mepps or roostertails and bring slowly across current.

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I already got some rooster tails, actually it is a cheaper brand but should work fine. they look and swim just like a rooster tail. In the next few days I will get out there with some powerbait and spinners and try my luck. Thanks

9. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    we wade streams in north GA and float live crickets... we catch browns rainbows and brookies

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    a #6 0r 8 mustad hook loaded with some whole kernal corn works well. ive also had good luck with yellow powerbait.

my question is what kinda flies work for the stocked trout? My son in law bought a fly outfit recently and asked me what flies to get. I told him the only one i knew that all fly fisherman used is a brown wooly bugger.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I get excellent results using ultra light spinning gear with 2-4 lb. cajun red line. I very rarely use any weight, unless the current is fast, then i use just enought splitshot to keep my worm or minnow just below the surface. The more natural the bait looks in the current, the more fish you will catch. Cast upstream and allow your bait to drift in the current, trout will usually lay in the slack current behind a large rock or any obstruction. Try to keep the slack out of your line without hindering the movement of your bait. When using lures i prefer gold or silver sixteenth oz. Phoebes which you may not have in your area. I also use streamers and small mepps spiners. Good luck brother. Oh, salted minnows can also be deadly!!!

12. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Ive been troutin all my life. Its what I'm best at next to cattin. Iuse a light action rod w/ a small spinning reel w/ 4-6 pound line and a size 1 hook. I use nightcrawlers normally. I grab the end of the worm that has the ring around it and insert the hook just below the ring running it toward the short end. I'll run it past the ring until the worm gets to the bend in the hook and then exit the hook out of the worm so it appears to be just hanging in mid air. similar to the 1st step in using a plastic worm, but dont run the hook back through. Once your baited up look for a rock that sticks out of the water or a bend in the creek or even a deep moving hole. Stand down stream from it throw upstream, reeling it back the same speed as the water is moving. You should get results. PM me if you have any ? or my instructions r confusing. Good luck

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Richard, you summed it up pretty well.

Trout take flies that resemble the hatch. Nothing's hatching this time of year.

Give the stocked trout time to adjust to the wild. If they survive a few weeks, you'll get a much better trout when they do hit.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you can get a hold of trout roe or salmon roe, those work well for trout. They are the eggs of trout or salmon in a sac. Trout love them. Otherwise, the tips already given were great. I also use mini jigs for trout. They work well also.

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i agree with light gear and tackle. I use powerbait. Just mash it up into a ball around your small hook and try to hit still water.

16. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've had good luck this year getting my baits off the bottom. I fish locally stocked lakes. I've used nightcrawlers last year but this year I've added a small ball of powerbait to cover the hook. I inflate the worm with air but I am thinking of trying someone else's suggest by injecting some type of flavoring or scent.

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    All the suggestions mentioned above should get you a good start.

Wheelmobile07

18. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    All great suggestions. I have found that stocked trout will eat just about anything. I have had them hit my strike indicator before. In my experience I have never worried too much about matching the hatch on stocked trout, remember they were not raised in the wild so what do they know about what is hatching. I usually use a Bead Head Pheasant tail nymph or a Prince Nymph. If I were to bait fish then I guess I would go with corn or salmon eggs.

19. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    unfortunatly all we can catch in idaho in the winter is trout so i am somewhat of a expert. in the morining and late evening they will be in the riffles and move to a deeper hole in the daytime. the best bait i have found is a marshmallow with a crawler hooked under it. being that they are stocked fish they will also bite on cheese or various powerbait or trout magnet type stuff. i used to love trout fishing in missouri but idaho seems to shove them down your throat. they dont stock cats crappie ........ only dirty old trout:sad2: