I need help catching flathead catfish.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dylan543, Jul 9, 2007.

1. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Okay i have been fishing alot lately over at the defiance county are.It is a dam 5 miles out side of defiance.It is called Independence Dam State Park.And i am really been targeting flatheads.I usually go with my dad and grandpa and they don't really kno anything about cut or live bait or about rigs.But i kno about cut and live bait.But have never tried it there.I really want to catch some flats in the 20 + range so help me i really need the help i am only 12 years old.What and how do u do a rig and how do i catch flatheads please help me please this help would be very much apreciatted.:cool2:

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    big bait = big fish, use a live gill or shad, you might not get a fish for the first few trips, but eventually one will be hungary enuff to come eat your bait. just be patient and your time will come

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC Dylan. The first thing you and your dad and grandpa need to do is go to all the area baitshops. Then you, not dad or grandpa ask those same questions and I bet you get sent to some mighty fine spots. For bait, bluegill dead or alive (fresh), or if you can afford one a cast net is invalueable and will pay for itself many times over. Shad, small carp, Creek Chubs, small Drum, small bass, all are good bait. The fast water below a spillway is a good place to start. Going downstream a river is broken up into 3 parts, holes, runs and riffles. The riffles hold the oxygen and a lot of bait (food). Hungry fish of all types will come up into the riffle depending on depth, and the bigger fish will stage, or gather at the upstream side or head of the hole waiting for food to wash down. Flatheads also like cover or hiding spots like lumber (trees) or big rocks. In the hole try snags. The same goes for runs, or the big flat area between the hole and the next riffle. Trees in the water, access to deeper water are keys to success. Make sure that you only fish on the shallow side and fish at night. There are folks that fish the deep holes and who fish during the day but that is a little advanced for a beginner. The above recipe gives you an opportunity to land that fish of a lifetime this year.

Good Luck young man,
    Shawn Dostie
    Coshocton

PS. When you do catch that big one consider taking a photo and releasing it to fight another day. It is not illegal and you are certainly entitled to keep and cook the fish, but these are trophies. I was 37 before I caught a big one. If you are conservation minded you might consider the benefits of catch and release.

4. shovelfisher05

shovelfisher05 New Member

State:
    ohio/indana
    the easyest rig that i find works is use at lease 25lb line and put on a 2oz egg sinker (in heaver current use more weight and or flat weights) then tie on a barrel swivel, then a leaderline make it 8in to a foot use at least 50lb test line on the leader then tie on your hook i use no smaller than a 4 hook but prefer 5 to 7 some ppl say use bigger hooks and monster bait and that workes but iv caught big fish on small bait as well as far as bait use live for flatheads ,shad,greenear sunfish,small bullheads,MULLETS(my favorite), crappie workes great as well bout 6to8in long ,skipjack is good cut bait as with shad. hope this helps and good luck

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is good info. the only other thing i can add on is if you fish a section like towards the riffle and aren't having much luck, make your moves in small distances...sometimes they aren't far from where you are, and i think alot of people make the mistake of pulling anchor and moving large distances to their next desired spot...goodluck...rollo

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing I could add is fish after dark for the bigger flats, you can catch some smaller ones during the day but flats prefer the cover of darkness. And look for downed trees in the water, cover to the Flathead is just as important as bait fish. Keep at it you may not get one the first night but if their there you will.

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    if you keep at it you will get one.. it took me a long time, i started around your age trying and didnt get one for 3 years,, the first one i caught was a trophy and teh second was the fish of a lifetime,, keep at it, and put some nights in,, i road my bike with a buggy on the back every day to a lake by my house took me three years.. but i got it. it will come together and you might get one like the pic your first day like me

Attached Files: