I need Hand Gun Help

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Catfish Killer, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I sometimes fish an area that has a history of some violent crimes. Mainly robberies but there has been some shootings. It also produces huge cats. I usually try to take a buddy but sometimes I go by myself. Last week some passerby's threw glass bear bottles at me from there car, and I have heard gunshots from cars before or after they pass by so I have decided to buy a hand gun. I am looking at possibly getting a Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP, or a GLOCK 38 .45 G.A.P. Has anyone ever shot these guns or have any other suggestions. I carry a lot of stuff with me and hike over 2 miles to get to some of my spots so I want to stay lightweight and stay with Polymer.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Bro,
    I am not telling you what to do, but a gun's only purpose is to kill. Do not carry it unless you are prepared to kill someone with it. It you are not, the the results could be far worse than hearing the gunshot. Which, by the way, if you heard the gun shot, you have nothing to worry about. The one that goes thump and then bang is the one that hurts.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Not telling you what to do either or what options you have, but maybe finding a spot to fish that doesn't involve ducking bottles and avoiding high speed lead. I could care less how big or how many fish there are, if I'm truely concerned enough about having to defend myself (or my life) between hook sets ... I'll pass.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bill
    You cant go wrong with the Glock.......no matter how safe or unsafe the area, Im packing some kinda heat on my boat or on my person when Im in the outdoors. It can be done legally in most states........and in the ones it cant.....well.......lets just say Id rather have twelve trying me than six toting me.

5. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Look at a High Point they make a good hand gun and for the price its hard to beat them. You can get a 9 for around 120.00 why take a high price gun fishing?

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bill you didn't say if this will be your first pistol. If it is why not get something with a sporting use also. Something to think about. What I carry in the country is much different that what I carry in the city. Also in the event of something awful happening, or inspection by law inforement it behoves you to express your intent to carry. Helps if you have something conventional, not something with a single purpose only.
    Be safe.
    :smile2:

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bill if you have never been around handguns before you need to train with one before you depend on it for self defense.I shot my frist hand gun in 1962 and have been carrying one at most times for 35 years and I have been training in combat handguns for at least that many years and it's hard to explain but the training never stops because you can never have enough handgun training.I have a Glock 30 in 45acp and I think it would be hard to get better.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill, here is my Glock 26 9 MM, it's specially designed for carry. I added the laser sight.

Like the others say, if this is your first, get some training. I would also recommend joining the National Rifle Association.
    I bought my first handgun in 1956, still have it. Worked shift work for several years. My wife didn't like staying alone at night. The first thing I did was teach her how to handle a firearm and to shoot. That seem to helped her a lot and she still loves shooting today.

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    training training training and practice practice practice.

if God forbid you ever do have to pull your weapon out... hesitation and lack of confidence in its use may get you shot quicker than no weapon at all.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im a chicken Id just find another fishin hole lifes too short to put up with the cracp you described

11. Catfish Killer

State:
    Pa.
    Well, to start of I am not only getting this hand gun because of the troubled spot that I fish. I have shot many hand guns and love doing it my buddies dad takes us to the range quit a bit over the last few years, and I would like to get there more. I have shot a 9 mm a .40 .22 and a 10 mm. I have never shot a .45 but in my research I have done I hear for defense and pure fun a .45 is the way to go. And I will add I have a lot of confidence I have great aim and have done very well shooting fixed and moving targets. Even if I didn't fish that spot doesn't mean I will not encounter trouble some day. Here is my case and point. My best friend uncle was fishing a quite remote spot in WV. a few years ago just him and his dog two guys walked up to him and asked him how fishing was and carried on a conversation with him for about 15 minutes before pulling a gun and then shooting his dog and robbing him. Just this year at a spot a little north of Harrisburg that me and my buddy like to lunch his boat there was and armed robbery of two men landing there boat around 4am only 20 minuets before my friend and I docked there. My other fishing buddy that I do about 100% of my land fishing with moved to Hawaii, so I will be alone most nights from land now. I am not scared to be alone, but I will be a sitting duck out there by my self in the wee hours in the morning. And believe me I have a kid to live for, if I fell that my life is in jeopardy I will pull that trigger without hesitation and the confidence that I will live to see my boy another day. I would hope that would never happen, but I will continue to fish at least 120 days a year for at least another 50 years I hope. Probably 70% of that time will be spent alone between 6pm and 5am. until my son is old enough to fish with me and who knows he may like to play drums or draw maybe fishing wont be his thing.

12. Catfish Killer

State:
    Pa.
    I forgot to include that I have made up my mind on a gun. It will be the Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP. As I always do in anything that I buy I have done about a month of research, And I have only head good things about this gun. I mean great things about it.

13. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Before you go and buy the Springfield XD which is an awesome gun, make sure and look at some others also. The XD is a little bulky compared to the Glock's and might get in your way. I bought a sub compact Glock 33 last week which is chambered in .357 Sig and this gun shoots incredible. I bought it for off duty carry and my regular duty gun is a Sig Sauer P220 .45. I also have a Ruger P-90 .45 that I used to carry on my hip fishing but it is a little heavy/bulky. I would look into a compact Glock in either .357 Sig, .40, or .45. FYI, the .357 Sig in Cor Bon ammo is 1500 fps and 575 ft pounds of energy, more than the .40 and .45 which is why I bought it, plus it holds 10 total. I paid right around $400 and it came with 2 magazines. At 10 yards I was shooting 1-2 inch groups and at 15 they were 3-5 inch groups. Not trying to tell you what to do but wanted to show my experiences with what works for me. Chris

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    If you are looking at only .45's, I have heard only posotive reviews on the 1911's. Actually my dad is considering buying one, or a .357, for home protection. good luck

15. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Bill, what kind of fish is that in your picture? sort of looks like a world record catfish. a small whale?

16. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I believe I would find another fishin hole. But I do own a couple of handguns. I have a Ruger P90 45 ACP stainless, and a Ruger GP 100 357 Mag also stainless. Very nice and highly dependable.But, like I said before; I believe I would find another fishin hole.

17. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    To me catfishing is about more than just catching fish,its about getting out in the great outdoors in piece n quiet. Maybe building a small lil camp fire, drinking a few cold ones with some good friends.
    What you described just doesnt sound like it would be much fun with or without a gun. Find a better spot to fish. But to each his own