I Need Gun Help

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catman849, Dec 18, 2009.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I went duck hunting today and shot my gun and the chamber flew back after the shot. It is a pump action gun and I have used it a lot this year and this is the first time it has happened. Now every time I shoot it the chamber flies back on its own and I can see that there is a small gap behind the back of the chamber now. Can anyone tell me what might have happened here.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you been shooting alot have you taken it apart and cleaned the action thoroughly?? May just have a buildup of powder or debris in the lock mechanism....

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds kinda scary, if the "Breechblock", or bolt, is not staying locked up. I'd agree, take it apart and thoroughly clean it, and also, look for damaged parts...

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Was wondering what kind of shells you are shooting? Are they handloads or magnum loads? Check the barrel for fouling buildup? The other guys are right on target sounds like to me.

:cool2:

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've seen that quite often with pump action guns shooting heavy magnum loads. Brand new ones and well used ones. Especially stout magnum turkey loads. I've seen it in Mossberg and Remingtons and other guns with similar designs. Most actions don't have locking lugs on the bolt head. Think about it... When you cycle the pump, all you are doing is pulling straight back, right? That lets the action unlock and cycle. If the recoil momentum is heavy and fast enough, if you're not forcibily holding the forearm of the shotgun forward to keep it locked, the recoil forces are strong enough to start the cycling of the action. I will say that I haven't seen one that does it on every shot though.

If you want to go over it first, break it down and give it a good cleaning. Put it back together and see how it functions before you fire it.

If you're concerned that much, don't shoot the gun. Take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out. Better safe than sorry. :wink:

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nuf said.:big_smile:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm thinking a serious cleaning,and a look at the lockup parts,Pump guns have a locking mechanism that is associated with the trigger function. it should NOT be able to cycle unless the trigger is pulled ,OR the release plunger is pushed. Take it to a competent gunsmith,to have it looked at. Also take the box from the shells ,So he has a better understanding about what was fired .

8. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The shotgun is a winchester model 1200. I cleaned it thoroughly and checked all the components. I couldn't find anything broken of out of place. I took it out and shot it again and I am still having the same problem. The bolt still flies back on every shot. The release seems to be in working order so I am very confused. You can't pull the bolt back when you pump it in the firing position, but as soon as you pull the trigger the recoil sends it back. Also, I have checked the yellow pages and there are not really any gunsmiths in my area. So I think I have to fix it myself.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had a Win 1200 pump 3 inch when I was in College. My first 3 inch gun. It did the exact thing yours is doing. I never gave it a second's thought. Used it that way for years until I sold it to help finance a Spring Break Trip to Key West. Google and Call Winchester Help Desk. I had trouble with some of their Buckshot loads plastic shells separating during firing right where the plastic connected to the brass base. Winchester was all over helping me. If its safety related,,Customers with questions go to the front of the line.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I had a problem with my pump when shooting slugs and heavy shot loads.
    It would unlock and the bolt would come back a little bit after the shot.
    This was causing me to sometime short stroke and not pick up a shell
    or jam because of not throwing the spent shell out. I figured out it was
    not the gun it was my reaction to the heavy recoil. A shotgun shooting
    heavy magnum loads kicks like a mule. What I do to correct this is I
    do not hold the plunger I hold the magazine tube, after shot I slide my
    hand forward to the plunger and work the action. This is a little slower
    but not that much with practice and the gun works smoothly. It sure
    beats having a pump that acts like a single shot when shooting magnum
    3 & 1/2 loads.

11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Are you sure its not one of the Winchester "speed pumps" thats designed to do that? Mines a 1300 and it unlocks and uses the energy from the shot to start the pump cycling. I dont know when exactly Winchester started making them but I remember the early 90's there was ad's in the magazines touting it.

12. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm sitting here with my 1200 beside me as I type. The bolt does have locking lugs that turn clockwise and lock into grooves in the back of the barrel.
    I'm with Reloader on this one. This system is timed and if the lugs aren't locked I don't see how the trigger can fire. But I can say that my 1200 will lock in place and the action will not slide back until the release is pressed OR the trigger is pulled..

I had an old recoil operated Remington Mohawk that had a broken lock pin. This lock was on top of the action and worked like a see-saw. When the bolt moved forward, the "See-saw" rocked back and locked against the top. But the pin was broken and the "see-saw" couldn't lock.

Let me tell you.. When that pin broke, I was on the skeet range and I'm very happy no one was hurt. I was covered in un-burned powder ( Redneck that I am, I was wearing bibbed overalls and no shirt ) And the shell casing was stuck in the open action. There was no longer a rim on the shell case. It looked a lot like a pumpkin.

I would take the barrel off and move the action back and forth to make sure the lugs are turning. Next I would look at the rear of the barrel and make sure nothing was stuck in there to keep the lugs from locking.

But even if you should find something, That would mean the lugs could not dog down and the gun should not fire.. Do yourself a favor and find a qualified gunsmith. You've only got one pair of eyes......................