I need fishing lessons is anyone else catching fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by riverrat62, Jul 31, 2006.

1. riverrat62

riverrat62 New Member

State:
    St joseph missouri
    I need fishing lessons because I have went out three times in the last two weeks on the missouri river between St. Joe and the Nodaway river. I was fishin at night and useing four or five differnt baits and did not catch anything and not even one bite. I was wondering if anyone else was catching anything on the Missouri River in the last two weeks and find out what your doing differnt then me!

Thanks for all the help and tips and good luck fishin!!!!!!!!

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Randy:
    Sounds to me like you were very close to my fishing area just on the outskirts of Forest City Missouri,and to answer your question I have tried everything from goldfish to old chicken skin and mear doused in mini garlic pieces and I can't get anything either. I went out last Sat am about 3:30 and set there until almost 8:00am and using old chicken fat I got pesky dinks that kept my glowstick on my rod dancing but I couldn't get one stuck for the life of me. I don't understand it.I guess I need to ne taught how to fish too. If someone would volunteer I'd sure take em up on it as I can't even catch an eater,now thats sad!!!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Posted July 31st 11:48pm--------pk powell

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Try deep holes in the heat of the day, can't hurt anything to try. you can work on your tan while you are there, LOL!!!

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If your fish deep holes and the temps are getting close to the mid 90's or higher, you might want to try bringing your bait up higher, maybe under a slip float. Oxygen levels can get pretty low in deeper water in the summer and the fish will move up to where the levels are higher while staying in or near the holes.

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The thing i have found when i make a couple trips with no fish caught is to just keep going! Sooner or later you'll start catching fish again

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey, .... it happens, but we're not going to give up. Persistance wins.:smile2:

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Went Friday night for the past 2 weeks and all we have managed is a couple of dinky bullheads. Had 5 different kinds of bait soaking cause they sure wasn't bitin.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well oxygen levels should not be a factor in the river. You just need to keep at it. Also try fresh cut shad or carp. Been doing alright on those baits. Now I don't know what kind of water you are fishing on the river but I will say this if you are fishing the dead water "slack water" you need to move. Start fishing the water where the current is.

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Been having the same luck here in Iowa . Hang in there .
    Brian

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those are my stomping grounds...It has been slow, but i have still managed to catch a fish or two everytime I am out! In the last two weeks I have taken my two best fish of the summer (37#s and 51#s)! Both on cut shad and both above the scour holes! It is only going to get better! Keep after em!

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've caught quite a few fish lately too, mostly dinks between 5 and 16 pounds. I've been concentrating on the scour holes and humps during the heat of the day, and moving to the flats, debris piles, barges at night. Most my fish have been coming off of large live baits, both gizzard shad and greenbacks. (Threadfin Herrings). Good Luck. They are bound to bite sooner or later.

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i know that water really well, this time of year you have to be patient and fish in the deep holes or along the bank where you can find BIG rock, if no big rock is around fish around brush. Stay away from shallow holes because all of the gar and carp are there. try to catch some creek chubs and some small to medium sized perch. As you probably already know, up in that neck of the woods the big flatheads eat during the hottest part of the day.

13. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuz - you braggart! 5# is not what the rest of us call a dink!

14. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went night fishing july 31st, got out caught shad and threw them into the little cooler with frozen bottles of water, got to our favorite hole around 12:30 am and threw out the first rod for my buddy, and was working on getting my rod out and he caught an 8lb blue. I threw out and rebaited his pole and was working on getting the other poles out and I caught a 15lb blue. We were only able to keep 1 pole a piece in the water for the first 3 hours. we ended up catching 140lbs of blue cats. Me I caught 2 one 10lb and another 15. He caught 1-8lb 3-9lb 2-20lb 1-40lb His personal Best! It figures the one night we forget the camera...... We fish mostly the blow outs of the rock dikes, but depth finder was not working so we motored up past the blow out and anchored aprox 20ft out from blow out, the back current pulled us past the hole and we stayed there all night. There must have be a mayfly hatch as our boat was covered with them!

15. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    :sad2: we need some rain and lower temps. then they will turn on :lol:

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There already on. They could pick up the pace. Although it seems more you just have to catch them on the right night for the speed.

17. Stinky41

Stinky41 New Member

Not anything going on down here either. According to the fishing reports, it's that way all over the state. Some rain would help as the lakes are 5-6 feet down. Only thing I caught all night was a huge softshell with an attitude.

18. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went out last night for a couple hours...the river is real muddy and full of trash! I managed to catch one 12 lb blue! I think the time is coming soon! I am going to fish all night saturday night...I hope to have a good night! I will let you all know how it goes!

19. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Try fishing off the bottom. I found that putting the weight on the bottom with the bait about 1 and 1/2 foot up is working. Use a three way swivel, the line's untangle and bait float's out. Use cut skipjack or bighead carp if you can get it. If not, Live shad, bluegill, or bullhead will do the trick. Seem's dead bait only get gar or yellow carp.