I need carpet help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looking for a few suggestions...I just bought a new 16ft Lowe flat bottom jon, with a flat aluminum floor. I want to put carpet down to make it a little more comfortable and a little quieter. There are a few things that bug me that I am looking for a little help on. I want this carpet to look good and to actually look like it belongs on the boat. I will need something that can take a ton of abuse from mud, sand, water, shad, sun etc. something that can be hosed down and scrubbed at the end of a day if needed. Also I would like it to be installed to last...I don't want to have to worry about replacing it every year or trying to re-glue

2. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry my message got cut short.....I don't want to have to worry about re-glueing it in the middle of the season. so if any of you have any advice on what type of carpet, what type of glue or adhesive, where to buy the carpet or any other tips let me know. Thanks

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    bass pro shops cabellas they all have the carpet and glues. also look into the vinyl flooring from them too real low maintenance.

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Pylodictis Olivaris,

Good thing there is copy and paste I would have had a rough time with your handle, I redid my old Sea Nymph a several years back before I bought my new boat, went to Lowes and got the indoor outdoor carpet boat really looked well after I redid it and it lasted a long time, the guy that owns the boat still has the original carpet in it that I had layed down, the carpet was grey in color and when it got slimed or real muddy I just took it to the carwash and washed it out, they had the outdoor glue for the job there also. Back then they only had a few choices, now I think there are several to chose from and wasn't all that expensive to recarpet............Doc

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    How about a different approach, instead of carpet, how about using spray in bedliner that you use for your bed of the truck ? I know you can get the do it yourself stuff from Oreilly auto parts.
    Maybe ??? Just a suggestion.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I always liked the carpet Ranger put in their boats.
    I've carpeted several boats by buying the carpet from a Ranger dealer along with the glue.
    It was a heavy backed carpet and truelly snagless.
    Never had a problem with it in any boat.

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    I like the tips and ideas...keep em coming. Do you guys recommend to carpet the sides of the boat as well? I'm trying to eliminate all of the "clanking" noise I make when my equipment is moved around on the bare metal. (like setting down poles or pliers or just digging through tackle and gear) seams like it can get pretty noisy and irritating.

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Hello, I submitted an article to BOC on how to install boat carpet step by step with directions and pictures. It was installed on a plain aluminum Tracker Grizzly. However, I don`t know how to tell you where to find it. I am sure one of the moderators could. It is with plywood, boat carpet, and marine glue. It`s very good I must say. I have had it in now over a year with no problems, and it`s been through a lot of fish goo, rain, and cleaning.

9. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Pylodictis Olivaris,

Whew! That's a keyboard-full!

If I were you, I wouldn't put carpet on the front seat / deck. Not if there is sand involved. At speed, you will be sand blasted! I would keep the carpet to a minimum.
    I'd be more inclined to go with rubber or the bedliner stuff. Just my opinion. I used to have a deck on my boat with astro turf, but got tired of being sand-blasted.