I need boat help!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KevsCatfish, Dec 3, 2008.

1. KevsCatfish

KevsCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 16 ft. 1982 Fishin' ski/barge boat. I LOVE THIS BOAT and we have a caught a lot of fish out of it...The floor is soft and I am getting it refiber-glassed along with the front casting deck, gas tank holding box and battery box... I need to put a motor on it and want a good one that is 70+ hp - does anyone have a suggestion? And does anyone know what the max size is I can put on it? WACO,TX

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wouldn't go too big on it... The bigger the motor, the more fuel it's going to suck down. My neighbor and I have a 60 honda 4 stroke on a 16' aluminum.... It gets me where i want to go and is super quiet...

I guess if you're fishing tournaments and need to get down the lake quicker than anyone else, you need a bigger motor. Check the plate and see what the max hp is. I wouldn't go any larger than that

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    For the 16 foot Fishin' Ski Barge, I'd say a 70 to a 90 should be fine. My 20 footer is rated for a 115, but I have a 200 on it. Hope to sell or trade the 200 for a smaller motor for fuel consumption. Man, them Fishin' Ski barges are the heat, eh?
    Bill in SC

4. KevsCatfish

KevsCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Since I am getting the boat redone - do you have any suggestions on things that I MUST HAVE IN IT!!! I have already been told - a coffee maker! BUT, i was thinking about having the guy make a live well under the front console seat.. there is not one there now... should I ask for anything in particular?

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <should I ask for anything in particular?>

Live well, rod holders, net holder, fish/depth finder. You'll constantly be seeing ways to change things to your liking. I'd try to do as much work/mods to the boat myself to save a heap of bucks. The live well in the console should be easy enough to do yourself.
    BB in SC

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    kev..... i would offer this ... lil mac ,on the boc ,has a 16 ft ski barge ... he just redid his whole boat ...... u might pm him and talk about some details .....

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah i was gonna say little mac, also, he did have a step by step pictures of his finishing his barge

8. KevsCatfish

KevsCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great idea! I have not found too many people with Ski/Barge boats - but man I love mine... I hope that you have a great season.

9. KevsCatfish

KevsCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can you tell me how to find "lil mac" that is a great idea to talk to someone whos "been there - done that" Thanks for any help you can give...

10. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm not familiar with this boat, but while you're having it rebuilt, have the transom checked. If the floor is soft, I'd also see if the back end needs to be redone. Just my .02.

11. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I had to laugh as the coffee maker on-board was really one of the reasons I switched to a pontoon boat about a year ago! I will say that a long night on the water is much more enjoyable kicked back in a deck chair drinking fresh java!

Sort of like sitting in the living room, my old bones do appreciate the added comfort level of plenty of room and being able to get up and walk around not to mention the canopy is nice to stay dry if raining or out of the hot sun!