I need advice

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by littleman, Jul 1, 2008.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I need advice on how to deal with cats that seem to just nudge the bait. I have been fishing this one lake and for every one fish I reel in I have 5-10 so called bites. And there not even really bites, more like my line will go tap tap and then nothing. Its so light that most of the time i'm not sure if its something on the end of my line or if its the wind moving my line.

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I've noticed that minnows like to pick bugs off my line giving the tip a little twitch. Maybe thats your problem.

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Sounds like a channel cat. It's very common for them to take a bait very lightly and spit it out as soon as they feel any resistance. If you're fast enough, set the hook as soon as you feel the first tap. The second tap is them spitting the bait out and you're too late. If you're still missing the fish try a smaller hook until you catch what's hitting the bait.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    SMALL CIRCLE HOOKS WILL END IT, I AM BETTING!:smile2:

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    use a stinger rig.

6. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

This sounds like fairly normal catfishing, especially when dealing with small channel cats. Generally with big blues there's no mistaken a bite, those things will jerk your rod right out into the water if your not paying attention.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Could be small channel cats or evn turtles, if it's a decent cat and he is hungery there wont be any tapping.

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What type bait are you using? If it's livers or worms and things like that it may not be catfish biting and may be something else. Try the small hooks til you catch the fish and you'll know for sure.

9. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Its just this one lake that I am having this problem at or have ever really seen this happen. Its heavily fished but stocked often with channels. Its got a few nice areas that I can take my kids bank fishing. We're able to reel in enough cats to keep the kids entertained, most of em are in the 1-4 pound range. I use cut bait(drum or carp) shad guts, or dip bait. I see it most often on the cut bait and shad guts. I will be going out this weekend and will try using a smaller hook.

10. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    that was happing to me friday night . it turn out to be small bullheads.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This time of year it is very common for cats to simply "taste" your bait. By this I mean that they suck the bait into their mouth and then let the bait fall, especially if you are really tight lining it. They do this because it is "too hot to eat" and they don't know if they even want it. If it is too their liking, the fish will take the bait, otherwise it will continue to play with you. I don't think your hook or bait is too big or small, you just need to find what they want.

Other scenario that you could try. If the fish are playing with your bait. you could play back. Do this by very slowly move the bait after each bite. The fish will get mad because the bait is trying to get away and then the fish will bite it proper. You must be very slow and deliberate for this too work.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Tricia! If you're targeting channels in the 1#-4# range, I'd definitely downsize my hook and bait. I'd say that the absolute maximum size of the bait shouldn't be larger than a dime, and half that size would be the smaller limit. I spent a little time with a commercial fisherman once who was targeting fish that size, and his baits on his trotlines were about half the size of the last joint of my little finger.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my guess painted turtles .Or small chanels . you might try no weight if possible . put a little slack everyone has given you good ideas .

14. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a four day weekend and if the weather cooperates I will be taking the kids out tonight for a few hours. I have made a mental check list of everything that has been suggested and will try em all. Thanks for all the help!

15. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    bull heads or turtles. Sometimes by retightening your line after they push it at you you can catch them on the next touch you feel. I`ve caught a few by using this as I would tapping trout.

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    could just be small fish like bluegills they are good at doing that.

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Took the kids out last night for a few hours. I ended up using a salmon egg hook with a tiny piece of carp. About 10 minutes after it hit the water my son reeled in a yellow belly/bullhead no bigger then my middle finger. I thought at first my son just had some moss or leaf stuck to his hook. I've never seen a cat that small outside of an aquarium.

18. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    lol oh yeah just look in my photo album. Caught one little sucker on my big rod using a 4/0 hook on a big worm. The other bait I was using on the other hook was a gold fish and the gold fish was bigger than the cat I caught :smile2::eek:oooh:

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Don't overlook the obvious: cats aren't born weighing 2#...for every decent sized cat out there, there are literally hundreds in the 1-6 inch range. Mortality on these little guys is tremendous, but in the meantime, they're out there pecking at your bait.

I've heard it said that when the big'uns move in, the midgets move out. I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense.

20. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Use circle hooks, learn what size to use for size cats you are after. Do not "set the hook" the hook will. Make sure hook is exposed, cats cat tell the difference between bait andhook. Try try try it,s the catch that counts.

keep them lines wet