I need a ton of help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by ChrisC.729, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im going to this lake in Tennessee called Herb Parsons Lake(fishing lake).

Everytime I go there i never catch anything off the bank really, i only caught small channels but there is big blues in there, ive seen pictures. Also seen some in an article in the newspaper.

This Thursday im going there except this time im taking a boat out. They just started selling Skipjack so im wanting to see what that will do.

I would like to know some key areas to look for that would hold big blues, but there is one problem, i dont have a fish finder or depth finder. Probably becomes tuff now right?

Any suggestions?

2. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Chris. Dont know anything about the lake, but I can offer a few suggestions that might help you. You can check the depth with either a slip bobber (one without the built in weight on the bottom) by attaching a weight to a swivel under the bobber keeping raising the slip knot (in 1 foot increments) until the bobber lays on its side or you can simply use just a weight and drop it over board until it hits bottom.

I use a slip bobber (if its not windy) and try to put a piece of cut bait (preferably a bream, bluegill or perch- whatever you can catch out of the lake you are fishing in) on a hook and suspend it about 1-3 feet from the bottom of the deepest spot you can find. If its windy then use a carolina rig with about a 24" leader with a small float attached about 6" away from the bait so that the bait will be raised up off the bottom of the lake bed.

Blues are pretty active swimmers and will find the bait eventually its just a matter of if you can be patient enough.

Hope this might help you and let us know how the fishing goes.

3. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    you might try getting a topo map of the lake, look for stump fields, or standing trees in the lake, these are good places to fish, look for shad jumping , if you can find shad most of the time catfish will be close around!

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, I have fished there several years ago. I would still use FRESH chicken livers. If the "skips" there selling at the lake store is fresh, then you might be alright, but "skips" arent in Herb Parsons lake, so its not a normal bait for the fish in there, but I have caught some smaller blues there on chicken livers.:wink:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Drift the lake. Cover as much water as possible.

6. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yea i caught nothing, dont worry im used to it

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Chris, I have fished that lake also and caught some smaller cats but nothing big. Another bait you might try is chicken breast cut in good size chunks. There are some big pike in Herb Parsons Lake also. There is another lake across the road behind the store there. I have fished it several times and did pretty good. It is a private lake and they charge to fish there but it is not a pay lake per se. It has been a long time since I was there though.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a post that may help you:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1073637&highlight=structure+channel#post1073637

Also, this may not be a lot of help for a single fishing trip, but setting jugs out is an excellent way to locate good fishing spots. You can keep the fish caught on the jugs, or throw them all back, whichever suits you, but by noting the location of the jugs that caught fish, you've found some spots where it should be profitable to fish with rod & reel, too.