I need a tip

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by whisker maniac, Feb 2, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I am looking at buying a boat this spring and am wanting to put a 40 hp engine on it. Has any of you had any experience with the new evinrude?? Would this new evinrude be better than a four stroke?? Was thinking about a Honda 4-stroke but now after seeing this new Evinrude I'm not sure I want to go with a 4 stroke.

2. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have one of the new Evinrude E-TECs. I got it along with my new SeaArk last April. Mine is a 115 saltwater. I really like it. It is very quiet, almost 4-stroke quiet. It is alot lighter than any 4-Stroke so you are pushing less weight for your hp. They are also very economical on fuel and use hardly any oil. I only run about 2 gal of oil through it since last April and I use my boat very regularly. I am really sold on them. They also rate their hp at the prop, not the power head like most other engines, so you are actually getting more hp than other 40 hp engines.

3. kfloyd

kfloyd New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I have a 150 Evinrude E-TEC on a 23' war eagle and i love it . 4 stroke are 2 heavy.Just my 2 pennys11

4. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I've heard alot of good things about the Evinrude E-Tec motors. If I had to replace my Merc 90hp I'd go with an E-Tec without a doubt.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, In my opinion, its whatever you have had good experiences with! I just looked at the specs on 2 very poplar motor brands, Yamaha and Evinrude. I currently have 2 boats and my small boat is a 15/50 legend craft w/ Yamaha 2-stroke 50 hp tiller 189 lbs/ Evinrude e-tec 50hp 240lbs. In my BIG boat 20ft Nautic Star Bayboat w/Yamaha 150hp 4-stroke 466lbs/Evinrude 150 e-tec 419lbs. Thats not a very big weight difference (my sinker box for fishing the Mississippi river weighs aprox 60lbs), (my spare anchor weighs 28lbs), I havent been running a 4-stroke very long, but I DO know that it gets GREAT gas mileage and is QUITE! Here in Tennessee, you just dont see many Evinrudes, so I dont really know personally much about them. I can only speak about what I have had experiences with! I also have a 1990 25hp Yamaha 2-stroke on a engine stand that I bought new and have had very few issues with! I took it off my 14/36 jon boat and had my Legend Craft made and it was on that boat for about 6 months untill I got the Yamaha 50hp and its on my Legend now. :wink:I guess, all I can add to this is to REALLY research what you have a interest in BEFORE you make a final decision!

6. aroush

aroush New Member

State:
    Norris Lake,TN
    I don't know anything about the new Evirudes, but you also mentioned the Honda's. I manage a marina on Norris lake in East TN, and all of my rental boats have the Honda 4-strokes as well as my work barge and a commercial sea ark, and no problems of any kind. If you decide to go with the Honda, I'm confident you will be happy with your choice.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From what I've heard about the New evinrude is that people love them. Evinrudes are dependable and reliable and one of the best motors I have ever owned.:eek:oooh:

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Own the E-Tec, anything else would be uncivilized!
    I wish I had the money for an E-Tec, for me, its a '78 Evinrude 50hp!

9. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS