I need a quick answer

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Ruger 454, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I just orderd some driftmaster pro's and was wondering if the R/L hand treads are needed or if just R.hand threads are o.k.?
    Thanks in advance Mike

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    The left hand will not allow the holder to loosen if you are using them on the left side of the boat. I think this mainly applies to river fishing where the rod is cast toward the rear of the boat. Also could be useful while drift fishing. I just bought a bunch of the pro's and have been working on installing them along with several other projects.:big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know that it really matters. I just can't see a fish unscrewing the whole rod holder, no matter which way it is threaded. I have a jam nut I put on mine to hold them in position. Thought Drift Masters came with a wing nut to tighten into position.

4. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I did not think that it would make a difference but I just had to ask.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It does and it don't. I use to use all "right" ones. Now i use R/L driftmasters. When a fish hit's he's going to be tightening the rod holder no matter if he is on the left side or right side. If you just had all right side models even with a jam nut if you place it at an angle and the fish hit's now he has room to loosen the rod holder. In the heat of the moment you could forget to tighten the thing back up and then the ride home the vibration of the boat could work it loose. It don't cost anymore for Left then it does right. So just get half and half.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Call Driftmaster and see what they have to say about RH / LH rod holders. They were very helpful with me on what I was needing.
    Great people to deal with and also a great product. :big_smile:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Mike... a buddy of mine had me weld up some special holders for him, as he does a lot of trolling for salmon, stripers and white bass...... it does make a difference..... right hand on the right side of the boat will rotate to the right if a big fish hits and pulls out line......Like AwShucks says tighten up the "jam nut" and that might prevent rotating..... straight off the back of the boat, and not trolling.... should not make difference......

bayrunner ray

8. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Thanks for the advice,I talked to driftmaster and was told that it wont make a difference,just lock the nut down and they will stay put.I bought 10 duo pro's and 14 bases plus the 3 tite-lok holders I already have it should do me just fine!Now I have to just get enough rods and reels to fill'em up.:wink:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Mike, I forgot to caution you.... beware of those quickies, they'll get you in trouble. LOL