I need a new rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfish_clayton, May 16, 2007.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Today I broke one of the two big catfish rods I have, and now I need to buy a new one I fish for record size fish, and need a rod that can handle them. Im looking for a medium heavy to heavy action spinning rod and a reel that can match it one that holds at least 200yds of 30lb test. I willing to spend around 100 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get.

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Surge, or Jim Moyer "the Boss " rods.... but my prfrence is the americian spirit rods. all can be seen and bought at www.catfishconnection.com

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Okuma Coronado CD90 Bait feeder reel with a Diawa Beefstick rod.The reel will hold twice the line that you specified,is well built,heavy duty and sealed.It is made for heavy salt and fresh water use.Same goes for the rod.This rig seems to be the "most for the money" that I have found in a long time.So far it seems to be a excellent replacement for the old huge Penn reels that are no longer made.I think it is well worth checking out as it seems to meet your requirements and your price range.I love you Brothers and Sisters.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i run nothing but st.croix rods.. they will back them 100 percent. i think they are the best. i have one 8 ft. musky rod i have used for 13 yrs. and it is still great. alittle beat up, but great.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey brother i dont own any spinning rods but there are several models available depending on your needs depending on what they are boat or bank . From shore if distance is your requirements i would recommend a longer rod probably atlest 7 ft. or so which could also serve well as a boat rod . Try the ugly stick catfish series not the striper they are softer than the catfish rods . They will handle i beleive 1-4 oz. of weight if that is enough for your needs , and as far as reels in your price range you could look into thr okuma line of reels i would suggest that you go with the bait feeder series of their reels that should keep you around 100 bucks or close to it . pewee also recommended the beef stick by daiwa while im not familiar with these rods they have a following here on the BOC and he comes to us with knowledge that spans decades of fishing and i am sure his advice as well as others here is not to be taken lightly .

6. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I know what rod Im going to get now. Ive been looking into the Surge Trophy Cat heavy action spinning rod, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, is the heavy action overkill with these rods, should I maybe get the medium heavy version instead.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello again i was under the impression you wanted to stay under a hundred dollards for the combo im not quite sure you can do it starting with a surge rod , although a great rod a worthy reel to match it would surely put you over your projected price set . Now with all that said you have made a very good choice , so many brothers cannot be all wrong about this rod . Nowe as for action you need you need to look at the specs on this rod and be realistic in your needs in order to make an educated descision , but do keep in mind there are many techniques that require diferent tackle needs so if there is a financial limit like the majority of us do have choose carefully the first time around as to avoid wasting money that can be other wise spent .

Good luck and tight lines

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey bro just looking on the net and came across something that might interest you . i know you previously had a price range , so here it is BPS clearance cave cat maxx rods on sale both models , you might want to check this out .

Always thinking of the brotherhood

9. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i run the shaskspear uglystick catfish rods and a tidewater 30LB its not going to hold as much line on the reel as you wanted but the whole set up should only cost like $50-60. ive used these reels since i started here on the BOC last year and they still work like the day i bought them.

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Clayton,
    Surge has a new rod that is in between MH and Heavy. Its about 80.00 ea.
    I have two expected any day now as dealer was just getting them this week. Dont think catfish conn had this new series listed(?). Should be the perfect trophy fish rod at a reasonable cost.
    St crox are excellent rods for sure, but they cost alot and eyelets dont cut it for me.

If your still looking in a few days I could give my opinion after I use them and (hopefully) land a "big hog"!